Windows 10 migration

oliverbull1

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Hi guys,

So I have two desktop PC's, one with a 1TB hardrive with win 10 (PC 1) and another with a 128GB SSD and blank 1TB hardrive (PC 2). I want to use PC 2 as my main computer now and potentially sell PC 1. However, I want to use the SSD from PC 1 in PC 2 and have win 10 on there as the boot drive. My question is: could I simply swap the SSD and 1TB hardrive from PC 1 and pop them in PC 2, and pop the 1TB hardrive from PC 2 into PC 1. I've heard that windows is better for simply swapping mobo's etc.

If that doesn't work, would this be my next best option: migrate win 10 from the SSD to the blank 1TB hardrive in PC 1 and then wipe the SSD (and prepare PC 1 for sale). Then add the SSD into PC 2 and migrate from the HDD to the SSD. Then wipe the HDD and use that for storage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution

So in 1st sentence the ssd is in PC 2, then in second its in PC 1? :)

Colif

Win 11 Master

So in 1st sentence the ssd is in PC 2, then in second its in PC 1? :)

no.. i mean, you can swap the drives but windows won't work on PC2 unless you look at the link below

If you want to move win 10 from PC 1 and no longer use PC1, and move the licence to PC2, then you need to look at this link before and after moving drive - Reactivating windows after hardware change

As for just swapping them without reinstalling windows, it might work or it might throw a stack of errors at you. Make sure to backup everything you want to keep before trying. Its much more logical to move ssd into PC 2 and then fresh install win 10 on it so it gets benefits of all the new hardware. When you fresh install, make sure SSD is only drive in PC or win 10 might put the boot sector on the hdd

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Solution