Windows 10 Mobile Coming Next Month, More Lumia 950, 950 XL Details Emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing this desktop ability is unique to the 950 and it's USB 3.1 port. Older phones may be able to upgrade to Win 10 Mobile, but will they get the ability to do this as well? Methinks not, unfortunately.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
We don't know the price for the dock yet. In the states, Lumia 950 costs $549 off contract and the 950 XL costs $649. Not bad compared to iPhone pricing. My question is what carriers will offer them?

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Just found out: $99.

Probably not for most as it probably needs a certain bandwidth to support HDMI or DP out as well as HDCP support.

It is a new tech so I think we will probably have to wait and see. I am excited for it. Might move from my S6 to one of these but I also want wireless charging. It is nice to not have to worry about plugging it in and just sitting it down on the wireless charger.

The 950 has wireless charging. It's one of those things I didn't think much of at first, but having it and being able to just drop the phone on a plate instead fiddle with cables is pretty nice.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Continuum support is pretty much baked into Windows 10. Basically, if a touchscreen convertible, laptop, or 2-in-1 device supports Windows 10, it supports Continuum.

Granted, it's my understanding that Continuum *may not* be supported on all handsets. I'm not sure if this is 100% true--Microsoft has been cagey about giving me clear answers on that front--but it makes sense. Continuum seems like something that a lower-end handset would struggle with.

For example, Microsoft notably made no mention of Continuum support on the low-end Lumia 550 announced today. I'm guessing the omission was intentional.

What can help is if you start with the list of phones that will support Windows 10: http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/03/27/a-quick-update-on-windows-10-builds-for-phones-for-windows-insiders/

Only phones on that list will support Continuum, because Continuum is part of Windows 10. Some of the phones on that list that support Windows 10 may not support Continuum.

Anyway, that's a good question. We'll see about some answers. :)

Care to qualify or define that, particularly by providing evidence and metrics?

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
This is what I've been hoping to see with Type-C devices. Yes the old Sony's had a dedicated micro-hdmi port and more modern android devices have had the 5 to 11 pin usb/hdmi combined plugs, but the solution always seemed half baked (especially the software side.)

Credit where credit is due. With the office mobile package now quite mature and continued improvements in onedrive, outlook.com and office 365. I can sea future where 90% of desktop office punters no longer need a full blown PC. As horsepower, security and optimizations of the mobile space make the smart phone the de-facto computer.

MagusALL

Honorable
May 24, 2013
I have owned a Nokia Lumia 928 for oh about three years now and I am fully aboard the Windows platform. I build my PC's (two of them, one for me with i7-3770k and SLI GTX 780's for gaming/etc and the other for my GF with an i3-2120 and a GTX 650ti BOOST). We also both have Windows Phones, she recently upgraded her Lumia 520 to the Lumia 822. My phone is super solid and the build quality is amazing. The OS is very fast and it has Office built in which is hugely beneficial in my field (Medicine, GF is a Nurse.) This means we can simply save a Word or Excel file to our/or work PC, it autosyncs to our phones and when we get to work, or home, we can pull up those files at the PC's (shitty Dell's btw, laptops that have been on 24/7 and haven't had a battery change ever.) With that being said I will most likely wait until I get the Windows Phone 10 upgrade on my current phone and see how that works out. Since having this phone for so long but being so happy with it it makes it difficult to justify buying a new 950 or 950XL, especially if it won't be built as solidly as my Nokia is. My phone takes amazing pictures and has a Xenon flash. No MicroSD though and its USB 2.0 but the stock 32Gb has never been an issue. Idc about the removable battery. My phone never dies on me. I'm going to check it out at Verizon when it comes out and decide then if I want to buy one. I love the idea of the 2TB MicroSD option. I think if more people gave Windows Phones a chance they would quickly realize that they love them especially PC users using Windows 10/8.1/8/7. Specs sound great. Turning my phone into a computer by attaching a $99 part seems pretty cool as well. I hope Windows does well and Apple people stop the madness already. Its the same damn phone over and over, I had two of them, they're boring. Android is cool but I'm not a fan of Google needing all my information all the time. That's my two cents being a Windows Phone 8.1 owner and PC user. Windows 10 on desktop is awesome, I love it, Microsoft, you had me at "Hello, this is Cortana, how can I help you?"

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The carrier options are going to kill this phone. 950XL is ATT exclusive. The 950 is ATT and possibly T-Mobile. Here is hoping for T-Mobile. I thought Microsoft would have learned their lesson from the previous Lumias that were ATT exclusives that sold like shit. I mean seriously, how do you not get a major chunk of market share with a 41 MP camera. ATT does not support Windows Phone so why bother?

It's not exclusive. AT&T may be the first to carry it in their stores, but it's not an exclusive deal that keeps anyone else from carrying it. You can buy unlocked versions that will work on T-Mobile directly from MS. It's not great since you don't get the payment plan with TMo, but it's not keeping you from getting it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.