[SOLVED] Windows 10 Move

Kilford9

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016
Hi, i know this has probably been asked a billion times but......
Ive just bought a new 240gb ssd, which i plan to add to my system. I want to put windows on here instead of my 1tb hdd however i dont want to format the hdd as it has all my games on it and other large files for college and stuff. Is there anyway to move windows across easily and keep my hdd still intact as a second drive? Tia

Solution
Ive just bought a new 240gb ssd, which i plan to add to my system. I want to put windows on here instead of my 1tb hdd however i dont want to format the hdd as it has all my games on it and other large files for college and stuff. Is there anyway to move windows across easily and keep my hdd still intact as a second drive? Tia

You can't move "only Windows".
There is no function or application to do that.

Your best bet is a clean install on the new SSD.
We can go into detail on that if you wish.

USAFRet

Titan

You can't move "only Windows".
There is no function or application to do that.

Your best bet is a clean install on the new SSD.
We can go into detail on that if you wish.

Solution
If your games are steam games, there is such a procedure.
Otherwise, if you do a clean install on the new ssd you will get a empty registry and previous apps that used the registry to install will not run.
Many ssd vendors offer a ssd migration app that will clone your current HDD to their ssd.
This only will work if the used space on your 1tb HDD is less than the 240gb you bought.