Question Windows 10 - My Computer doesn't show up connected HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2023
Hello,
I am trying to copy data from old HDD by connecting to current laptop. I don't want to clone but just copy files from the old HDD. Current system is windows 10 and old HDD has windows 7 (not sure if this is relevant).

I am using SATA to USB connector and when I connect old HDD to PC, I cannot really see it in my explorer. My old hdd has a lot of data and I can see it in 3rd party tool called mini partition tool but I cannot really copy data from the app. Also disk management doesn't show any file type such as NTFS on the HDD.

Please find attached images showing various views. How can see various folders/drives so I can selectively copy data? Thanks

Explorer view:
my-computer.png

disk-mngmt.png

minitool view:
minitools.png

Hello,
I am trying to copy data from old HDD by connecting to current laptop. I don't want to clone but just copy files from the old HDD. Current system is windows 10 and old HDD has windows 7 (not sure if this is relevant).

I am using SATA to USB connector and when I connect old HDD to PC, I cannot really see it in my explorer. My old hdd has a lot of data and I can see it in 3rd party tool called mini partition tool but I cannot really copy data from the app. Also disk management doesn't show any file type such as NTFS on the HDD.

Please find attached images showing various views. How can see various folders/drives so I can selectively copy data? Thanks
The adapter and usb port you are using most likely do not provide sufficient power for the hdd to operate. You may need to use a more powerful hdd docking station.

Apr 2, 2023
what exactly is this SATA to USB connector ?

disk 1 is the old hdd?

what happened if you assign a drive letter to it in disk management?
I am using this product: https://www.amazon.com.au/WAVLINK-Adapter-Support-Converter-10TB-Black/dp/B09JK6JV75/
I've used it upgrade and clone my another SSD so I think it works fine.

DISK 1 (Petriot) is my current laptop's SSD. Disk 2 is old HDD.
I've assigned letter Z to one of the drives (as you can see it screenshot) so there won't be a conflict but still cannot see anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.