[SOLVED] Windows 10 Needs to Be Activated After M,2 Installation

Type O Negative222

Prominent
May 11, 2020
So, recently I added a M.2 to my Dell Prebuilt. Ever since, it has said Windows 10 needs to be activated. Strangely though, even when I use the troubleshooting it still points me towards buying a "authentic key" even though before this it was authentic. I contacted Microsoft but they said to contact dell to find my original product key. My warranty is expired however so I was wondering if Dell will charge me to get this fixed and/or is there a easier way to fix this.

Solution
I did the reset by doing a Windows 10 factory reset and re-install. I did it because Windows was acting strange and was really slow.
"Reset" within settings, on a Dell with its originally installed and activated OS should NOT have incurred any activation issues.

Call Dell. The phone call costs $0, warranty or not.

USAFRet

Titan
So, recently I added a M.2 to my Dell Prebuilt. Ever since, it has said Windows 10 needs to be activated. Strangely though, even when I use the troubleshooting it still points me towards buying a "authentic key" even though before this it was authentic. I contacted Microsoft but they said to contact dell to find my original product key. My warranty is expired however so I was wondering if Dell will charge me to get this fixed and/or is there a easier way to fix this.
"added a M.2 to my Dell Prebuilt "

Added how?

Did you do a new install of the OS on this drive?
Or just add this as another drive?

What drive, specifically?

USAFRet

Titan
I just added the M.2 as another drive. I put it in the NVME slot and I have not transfered WIndows 10 over. The M.2 is a Samsung 500gb 970 Evo.
That should not have ANY effect on the licensing/activation status of the original drive and OS.
Even a full clean install on that drive (which you didn't do) should have any effect.

Where, specifically, is it telling you about the activation?

Type O Negative222

Prominent
May 11, 2020
Oh geez, I totally forgot to mention that I had taken it out when I reset windows because it was slow because of a incorrect update and reinstalled it afterwards. Would this change the situation? If I did something stupid here that caused this please tell.

Type O Negative222

Prominent
May 11, 2020
Okay, so I had a lot of important files on the M.2 before I reset the computer so I took it out before the reset. I then reset and put it back in. Ever since it has told me to activate windows.