Windows 10, Network Can't see other Computers.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Hi Everyone,
This seems to be a common problem but i can't seem to find a specific answer. I have 6 PCs on my home network. (Along with various other phones and cameras and rubbish of course)
The problem I am having is that certain machines cant see other computers on the network, they see some, but not all, but they do appear to work if you address them correctly.
I have tried Various Routers to fix the problem, starting with a netgear DGN3700v2 moving to a Tenda, now to what appears to be the gun router, The Asus RT-AC3200.
Now I have My Main PC Connected to Lan 1, An Outdoor Wireless Access Point on Lan 2, and 3 Wireless Access points from the Asus running inside.
So, PC1, My main computer, is on Lan 1
PC2, Loungeroom is On Wifi 3
PC3, Bedroom is On Wifi 3
PC4, Garage is on Wifi 2
PC5, Bar, is On he Wireless access point connected to Lan 2 on the Asus.
PC6, Backyard is on the Wireless access point connected to Lan 2 on the Asus.

Now.... PC1 can see PC5 and PC6 and vice versa, but nothing else, PC 2 and 3 can see each other but nothing else, PC4 is on his own.

So, I can see what is happening, but I cant figure out why.
If Im on PC3, and access PC1 by typing into explorer ://hal9000pc1 or something like that, even though I cant see the computer in the network page in explorer, I can access it. But trying to explore it, It cant be found.

All machines are running Latest Windows 10, except Bar and Backyard with are on windows 7.

Im sure this is just a stupid setting somewhere, all network discovery is on, all computers are connected to workgroup, all are on private network. I just cant figure this out for the life of me, and i hope i have explained this properly, any ideas?
Cheers

Solution
Prior to Win10 1809 (well in 1803 anyway) you had to change Function Discovery Resource Publication to automatic. In 1809 I see it puts it on Manual.

Otherwise the other networked computers wouldn't appear in Network

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Basic checks.

What IP address has been assigned to each machine.
Are they on the same sub-net.

then look for firewall rules.

So step 1, What is the IP of your main router (presumably connected to your modem/ISP).
Can each PC ping that router?

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016

That is the very answer, solves the problem. Thanks Paul.

OzDrDj

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Sorry for the old thread, But lately, I have everything working, but my Main Server Doesn't show up from the Master Bedroom. If I go to the trouble of typing the Server address into the address bar, there it is, and it shows up and all works fine. But If im not using it or just boot up, or wander off for a while, it disappears. Example, I run a program called free file sync to sync Kodi folders across my network. So I tell free file sync to backup the bedroom to the server. The Computer says, What Server ???? I type in the adress of the server in the address bar, the folders show up , the server shows up in the list of network machines and free file sync works. Its like the computer plays a little game of hide and seek. "Im not here, you can't find me" type in the address, "Ok, you found me, I'll play now"
Really weird.