Question Windows 10 - Networking issue - DNS resolution

Jun 1, 2019
Hi All,

I hope one of you can help me as I have come to the end of my knowledge.

Situation:

Single Windows 10 computer on the network has constant network disconnects. The issue seems to be related to DNS not being resolved. Event ID 1014 (DNS server not responding) aligns with the failure. Sometimes Event ID 10002 (WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped.) is present as well.
Issue is consistent across all browsers, established connections seem to keep working e.g. Discord call. The issue has been occurring in current and last house so across different routers.

Network Hardware:
NIC: TP-Link 802.11ac
Current Router: Virgin Media Super hub 3
Wifi extender: netgear ex6000

Software:
NordVPN
Avast

Troubleshooting done so far:

Disabled IPV6 -> no result
Flushdns -> Seems to work for a short period of time
Set different dns manually -> no result
Wireless connection direct to router -> no result
Disabled all other adapters -> No result
Nordvpn enabled --> Issue hasn't occurred yet while enabled
verified driver is up to date
Turned of Windows Update Peer-to-peer feature
Restarting network adapter --> works temporarily, longer than flush dns

I might have tried more over the months but can not think of it. I hope one of you has some more suggestions

Thanks in advance

Try running the network trouble shooter in the Control Panel. If that doesn't help, look at the power settings for your PC's WiFi adapter in Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced Settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power saving mode. I had one system that had this set to low power, and it had the problem you describe until I changed it.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019
Hi Thanks for the respones

Power is set to Maximum --> issue occured
Network troubleshooter says dns couldn't be resolved (when issue is occuring)
NordVPN was not a permanent fix either , issue occured while vpn was active

06/06
It seems that safe mode didn't have the issue. How would you go about isolating it, knowing this ?
07/06
Further testing last night showed that a clean boot had the issue as well, but it could recover itself when waiting a while.

Last edited: