Windows 10 New PC - Random Freezes Every Boot

simtinclair

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017
I've found some similar topics but none of the solutions from them have worked so here I am.

Built new PC:
Motherboard: ASRock AB350m Pro4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Power Supply: Corsair TX550M
GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 3GB (Dual Series)
RAM: 2 X 4GB ADATA Z1 XPG 2800 Mhz DDR4
SSD: Intel SSD 545s 512GB (2.5in SATA)
(Old 2TB HDD)
(Old Case)
Running Windows 10 Home Edition

Computer worked fine for ~1-2 weeks.

ISSUE: Computer freezes every time I boot, ~1-30 minutes after powering on.
Freezes have occured during: playing video games, watching TV show on VLC, watching youtube videos, installing programs, leaving the computer idle after boot.
It is hard to troubleshoot, as the freezes are sporadic, I could be playing a game for 20 minutes before freeze, or just using file explorer for 2 minutes.
Freeze is unrecoverable, have to hard reset the PC.
For ~half a second before the freeze the mouse will slow down and stop.

Below is a list of troubleshooting ideas I've tried over the last few days, the issue has persisted every boot after these.

Troubleshooting performed (issue has persisted every single boot)
Performed a clean boot.
Dust free - new parts.
Have plenty of disk space on system disk.
Turned off Fast Startup.
Have reset the Winsock Catalog (netsh winsock reset)
Advanced power plan settings > Turn off hard disk > changed to never.
Changed power plan to “High performance”.
Went through event viewer with timestamps to try and isolate the cause of the error.
Ran sfc /scannow.
No unknown devices in Device Manager.
Run System Filechecker tool (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth)
Run Memory Check (mdsched.exe).
Increased SSD Virtual Memory.
Cleared temp folder.
Ran disk checker utility.
Ensured all drivers were up to date.
Formatted harddrive and did a fresh install of windows, reinstalled a bunch of programs.
Monitored performance in task manager up until freeze, nothing was high.
Formatted harddrive and did another fresh install of windows had only installed LAN driver.
Tried with all USB devices removed.
Tried with HDD removed.
Tried with a different graphics card.
Tried with a different SSD.
Updated BIOS.
Monitored CPU temperature, was steady up until freeze.
Took PC apart and put together again to ensure all connections were secure.
Checked SSD Firmware, was up to date.
Ran memtest86, no errors.
Link State Power Management is off.
Disable AMD Cool’n’Quiet and Fast Boot in BIOS
Tried taking out ram sticks one at a time
Ran Driver Booster 5 to check for driver updates.
Powered windows off twice during startup to perform startup repair

Event Viewer

DistributedCOM Event ID: 10016 Error
I found this error in event viewer every boot, shortly before the freezes, however through a lot of searching I'm pretty sure it is harmless, generated by Google Chrome, and there have since been restarts without this error, without Chrome installed.

EventLog Event ID: 6008 Error
"The previous system shutdown at [time] was unexpected."
I assumed this error was due to me having to manually power off the computer every freeze, by holding the power button.

Kernel-Power Event ID: 41 Critical (Task category (63))
"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
I also assumed this error was due to me having to manually power off the computer every freeze, by holding the power button.

EventLog Event ID: 1101 Error
"Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0"
Haven't been able to find much about this error.

What Now

I'm still currently looking through forums and trying things but I'm running out of ideas.
Things I still have to try:
Perform a Safe Boot
See if the issue persists on a Linux boot
Do a fresh install of Windows from a different piece of Installation media (though the issue was still there when I tried my old SSD so I doubt this is the issue.)

Please let me know if you have any ideas, or require any additional information!
Thanks.

UPDATE
I tried booting in safe mode, seemed okay for a while but still froze up after about an hour.

UPDATE 2
When it froze in Safe Mode, the number lock key on my keyboard was responsive, however when I freeze normally it's unresponsive.

UPDATE 3
I have turned the RAM clock down to 2133 MHz from 2800, and changed a settingunder Nvidia control panel: Manage 3D settings > Change power management > changed to high performance.
After these changes, the computer seems to take up to an hour to freeze now, so has helped a bit but the problem still persists.

Solution
Now I'm wondering if it's the RAM since the ram you listed technically isnt on the supported list (neither is mine now that i see), listed on the asrock supported list. i dont see how that wouldnt work though but worth a shot. i have a couple more bios updates to try before moving onto a different mobo. my question to you is when do we attribute this to an OS issue given it IS a relatively new~ish chipset?

I would not say it is CPU bent because that had happened to me. If it were bent, it would constantly reboot every 2 - 5 seconds without any display to the monitor. His restarts after 30 minutes or so, so I do not think it could be a bent CPU pin.

Just my two cents.

simtinclair

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017

CPU pins are fine, I'm thinking it may be a problem with the RAM, even though memtest didn't pick anything up.
Changing around RAM voltage, timings and frequency seems to have an effect on how long it takes before freezing, still freezes every time though.
Any ideas on what that means?

garlicbreadstick

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Hi sim
I created an account to follow this thread as I am having the SAME issues with a similar build although mine is the ryzen 3 1200.
I have tried everything and am running out of answers. Initially I thought it was PSU but after testing voltage and then swapping it's still happening. I tried installing 2 linux versions and still got some reboots so it's got to be hardware.
Have you noticed in the event viewer you'll get a red warning with id 6008, 41 or 12 and then a few minutes later comes the critical error and shutdown?
The next test for me is to just swap out the ram and see how that happens to work.
I would think it would be highly unlikely it's the cpu or mobo but im not ruling it out.
Hang in there we'll figure this out and share the info since it seems to be little to nothing out there.

simtinclair

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017

Yeah this thread seems to be a bit dead unfortunately, glad to see I'm not the only one with the problem though!
I'm pretty much at a loose end now, might just have to take my pc in somewhere and get it checked out.
Yeah I get errors 6008 and 41 but not 12, I think they might just be due to the sudden powering off though.

garlicbreadstick

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Now I'm wondering if it's the RAM since the ram you listed technically isnt on the supported list (neither is mine now that i see), listed on the asrock supported list. i dont see how that wouldnt work though but worth a shot. i have a couple more bios updates to try before moving onto a different mobo. my question to you is when do we attribute this to an OS issue given it IS a relatively new~ish chipset?

Solution

simtinclair

Prominent
Dec 22, 2017

Yeah I was wondering about the RAM, I chose my parts based on a recommended build so I assumed it would be on the supported list but it isn't, I wish I had some other RAM to test with.
It could be an OS issue but I feel like more people would have the problem if it were, I can't seem to find many people with the same problem.
I'll probably look into finding someone with RAM I can use to test with now, having already done BIOS updates.

garlicbreadstick

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
I highly doubt it's anything to do with rootkits. But a scan is necessary to rule it out. Also I went ahead an purchased another brand of mobo and I really hope it turns out to be an asrock mobo issue. Then we can get the process rolling of having them figure out what is going on. Ive seen other threads around other messageboards with super similar issues and they all have been asrock boards.

garlicbreadstick

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
just an update, ive had a different brand of motherboard for 2 weeks now and have not experienced any type of issue yet. all bios are up to date as well. ill come back with an update in a couple more weeks . if it's still fine then im going to rule this bios, memory compatibility issues or just asrock brand that isnt performing well.

Apr 21, 2018

Hey Garlic / Sim,
Just signed up in order to chime in here. Have either of you found a solution for the freezes?
I just re-built my PC (upgraded to new Intel i5-8400, Gigabyte mobo, and 16GB Corsair Vengeance... SSD and PSU remained the same kit) and am having the same $#*! issues with Windows 10 freezing up after rebooting. The freeze happens anywhere from 1-20 or so minutes. I've tried practically all the tests/checks you mention above but still have issues. I even swapped out a different mobo and other sticks of RAM (still Vengeance, but 8GB instead). Pulling out my hair as I type. Desperate for any advice or solutions you may have stumbled upon since January. Cheers, both.