Question Windows 10 new SSD, Windows7 on a HDD

Aug 13, 2019
Hey guys, so i bought windows 10, and a new SSD and want to use that as my main OS, and boot drive. Would I be able to keep my HDD with Windows7 on the same computer, and be able to access my files, and other things such as pictures. Or would I need to move those things to a new HDD as well.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You should install Win10 on the new machine, and on to the new SSD with only that SSD connected at the time of installing.

Afterward, simply install your old HDD and it should be recognized and assigned a drive letter.

While you won't be able to boot Windows 7 (at least not with gyrations) you should be able to access all the files and folders on that drive. You may have to take ownership of them using your Windows 10 user account, but that's no different than things were if you transplanted a drive with data on it from one Windows 7 machine and into another as an auxiliary drive.

Aug 13, 2019
Okay perfect!
Would I beable to just delete the windows 7 data on the HDD once its connected, or would i need to use windows media tool? I just don't want to risk losing my files, and have nothing to backup on. So if i can't i'll just leave Windows 7 on there, and not touch it.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, first and foremost: Get yourself an external USB backup drive!!

They are so cheap these days and not having a backup is playing with fire. If you value your data you must have at least one backup, ideally you'd have two, with one either in the cloud or on a drive that you store in a location other than where the first copy of the data is. I realize that most folks (including me) don't do that, but I do keep two copies on two separate backup drives that I alternate each month and keep in a fireproof box.

None of your user data should be under any of the Windows folders anyway. User data is typically under C:\Users (which will have a drive letter other than C: once your old drive is transplanted). If you don't need the space then don't delete the Windows folders, but if you need the space I wouldn't hesitate to nuke it on the old drive that's going to be your data drive.

Remember if you are taking backups, and they're full system image backups, and you're storing the primary copy of any data on that transplanted drive, you need to include that transplanted drive as part of the system image.

I would also suggest using the excellent File History feature built in to Windows 10 to take user data backups from the folders where you store things.

You have got to get a backup drive and start a cyclic backup protocol, and then follow it.

Aug 13, 2019
I really should, its only 80$ for 2TB, maybe i'll do that this weekend.

Okay thanks for the info about the windows folder. I'll try and get this set up, and make a new reply when its all set. Sounds like it should be a breeze, I'll just keep the windows there for now.