[SOLVED] Windows 10 no device drivers were found

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
Ok so I have an MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) motherboard with all of it's USB ports on the back being 2.0. I have used the microsoft media creation tool to download and create a bootable USB drive with windows 10 on it. I currently have a 500 gb hard drive with Windows 7, which I used to create the USB, and I want to install windows 10 on a recently bought 120gb SSD. I have set the boot order in BIOS to boot from the USB stick, and I have disconnected my 500 GB HDD for the purpose of installation, but I always get this error. I have tried changing the USB ports, but it doesnt work,
Please help me

Solution
I doubt it will as that's only generally successful if you have a pre-existing Windows installation, and you have not noted that you do.

I have posted instructions before on doing a completely clean install of Windows 10, and will do so again now. If that SSD is "clean as a whistle" and never been used, then the steps related to using the diskpart command can be skipped entirely.
-------------------------------------------
Important Reminder 1:
If your computer has ever had a valid, licensed copy of Windows 10 installed, even if that's been later replaced by, say, Linux, you can still do a completely clean install of Windows 10 without having to acquire a new license. Windows 10...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You cannot install Windows 10 on to an external drive. (At least not using the installation media that you create with the Media Creation Tool - it isn't set up for Volume Licensing and OS imaging).

You will need to have the SSD as the primary system drive, preferably with nothing else connected [unplug all your other drives, including that HDD], after you have installed that drive as an internal HDD and still have the USB bootable media as the first thing to boot from.

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
You cannot install Windows 10 on to an external drive. (At least not using the installation media that you create with the Media Creation Tool - it isn't set up for Volume Licensing and OS imaging).

You will need to have the SSD as the primary system drive, preferably with nothing else connected [unplug all your other drives, including that HDD], after you have installed that drive as an internal HDD and still have the USB bootable media as the first thing to boot from.
Like i said in my post, all drives but my SSD are disconnected, and the SSD is connected to a SATA port on my motherboard.
How do i set the SSD as my primary system drive, or install it as an internal HDD?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Like i said in my post, all drives but my SSD are disconnected, and the SSD is connected to a SATA port on my motherboard.
How do i set the SSD as my primary system drive, or install it as an internal HDD?

I see nothing in your initial post that suggested that your SSD is connected to a SATA port on your motherboard. I would (and did) interpret, "I have tried changing the USB ports, but it doesnt work," as implying the SSD were connected externally via USB.

The above being said, if the SSD is connected via SATA through the same connection that whatever drive had been active as the C: drive on your system was, that should be sufficient.

I would definitely try re-creating the bootable USB media for Windows 10. I personally prefer to download the ISO file and use Rufus to then create the bootable media, but you can use the Media Creation Tool to directly create that media. There should be no issues with USB devices booting (as that's a UEFI function) and a fully functioning USB bootable device with Win10 on it should have USB device drivers embedded in it.

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
I see nothing in your initial post that suggested that your SSD is connected to a SATA port on your motherboard. I would (and did) interpret, "I have tried changing the USB ports, but it doesnt work," as implying the SSD were connected externally via USB.

The above being said, if the SSD is connected via SATA through the same connection that whatever drive had been active as the C: drive on your system was, that should be sufficient.
I've been using the same sata port, but i still have the same error...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I doubt it will as that's only generally successful if you have a pre-existing Windows installation, and you have not noted that you do.

I have posted instructions before on doing a completely clean install of Windows 10, and will do so again now. If that SSD is "clean as a whistle" and never been used, then the steps related to using the diskpart command can be skipped entirely.
Important Reminder 1:
If your computer has ever had a valid, licensed copy of Windows 10 installed, even if that's been later replaced by, say, Linux, you can still do a completely clean install of Windows 10 without having to acquire a new license. Windows 10 licenses are stored electronically on Microsoft servers, and are linked to your computer's motherboard. The installer will locate that existing license if you are reinstalling Windows 10.
____

Important Reminder 2:
It should go without saying, but, if you have a functioning, even poorly functioning, system that you're hoping to wipe clean to get a fresh start you should definitely do a full system image backup and a separate user data backup before following the instructions for doing a completely clean reinstallation. It also makes sense to use a utility such as Belarc Advisor to create an inventory of the software you have installed and the license keys for same so that you have a handy list when it comes time to put them on your brand new Windows 10 installation.
____

You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool either to create bootable USB media directly, or if you want to have a copy of the ISO file, to download that and use a separate utility to create the bootable USB media. Either way will work.

These instructions are current as of July 29, 2019. They have changed little during the life of Windows 10.

Doing a completely clean (re)installation of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool (MCT):

A) To create a bootable USB drive using the MCT itself:

B) To download the Windows 10 ISO file and use Rufus to create the bootable USB

Solution

hdgro11

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018

Important Reminder 1:
If your computer has ever had a valid, licensed copy of Windows 10 installed, even if that's been later replaced by, say, Linux, you can still do a completely clean install of Windows 10 without having to acquire a new license. Windows 10 licenses are stored electronically on Microsoft servers, and are linked to your computer's motherboard. The installer will locate that existing license if you are reinstalling Windows 10.
____

Important Reminder 2:

It should go without saying, but, if you have a functioning, even poorly functioning, system that you're hoping to wipe clean to get a fresh start you should definitely do a full system image backup and a separate user data backup before following the instructions for doing a completely clean reinstallation. It also makes sense to use a utility such as Belarc Advisor to create an inventory of the software you have installed and the license keys for same so that you have a handy list when it comes time to put them on your brand new Windows 10 installation.
____

You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool either to create bootable USB media directly, or if you want to have a copy of the ISO file, to download that and use a separate utility to create the bootable USB media. Either way will work.

These instructions are current as of July 29, 2019. They have changed little during the life of Windows 10.

Doing a completely clean (re)installation of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool (MCT):

A) To create a bootable USB drive using the MCT itself:
B) To download the Windows 10 ISO file and use Rufus to create the bootable USB
OK I am currently downloading the ISO file and will use rufus to make thedrive bootable

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Please report back on how you get along.

My note about July 29th is because I had to do a completely clean install on a machine with a wiped hard drive on that date.

When installing Windows 10 on a machine in that state you must do a custom install (and that will be from scratch) as an update install is impossible on a system where no Windows OS exists on the drive that will be the system drive.

Reactions: hdgro11

TRENDING THREADS