Windows 10 - no signal at second monitor beginning at the Windows login screen.

ajalbert

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
Windows 10 - no signal at second monitor beginning at the Windows login screen.

When booting the computer, both monitors display Dell logo, BIOS messages, Windows logo (black background with four blue rectangles) with the circulating dots, all according to spec, but when it comes to the login screen, the second monitor goes dark, and reports "no signal".

Hardware: Dell Inspiron 530, ATI Radeon 2600 XT, Dell 1703FP, Dell 1707FP, both monitors connected via DVI-D, both set to 1280x1024x32, 60Hz.
Software: Win10 fairly new and from USB install, fully updated drivers for video card and both monitors.

Tried swapping the monitors, and that did not change the behavior.

Workaround: Found that opening the Settings panel for Display, selecting and changing the resolution for the second monitor to anything else, then changing it back, reactivated the second monitor.

I was able to get a command-line utility called ChangeScreenResolution.exe , install it and the Visual Studio 2013 x86 runtime libraries for the .dll it needs (msvcr120.dll) and write a .bat file that changes the resolution on the second monitor to a lower res, then changes it back. I placed a shortcut to the script in the Startup folder, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs so that it runs about 5 seconds or so after seeing the desktop.

Anyone have a better permanent fix?

Solution
I get the same thing on my q9400 Amd 7850 with 2 19" dell monitors, one boots up then displays login screen, once logged in the second one kicks in, I think it is Amd drivers that cause this not windows 10 as I don't see this happening on all my other dual windows 10 systems I have.