windows 10 not allowing for DOLBY 7.1 headset

Trevader24135

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
I have a logitech g430 7.1 surround sound headset that works flawlessly on my other computer (it has realtek audo manager), but on my new computer which just uses Microsoft's "high definition audio device". when I click on the speakers in playback devices, the configure button works, but on the headset it is greyed out. I don't want to use the included usb sound device that comes with the headset due to poor audio quality, but I don't really see any other option.
TL;DR, how can I get dolby 7.1 to work on a logitech 430 with Microsoft's default audio drivers.

Solution
Install the newest audio drivers, BUT:
1) THOSE ARE ACTUALLY ONLY STEREO HEADPHONES! No amount of wishing will make them anything else. If you want the best audio quality, change your game settings to "headphone" mode
2) "7.1" is actually just headphone virtualization, which you can turn on in the headphone properties if your soundcard supports it
3) If your soundcard doesn't support virtualization even after installing the drivers, you'll have to use the dongle based sound card instead
Install the newest audio drivers, BUT:
1) THOSE ARE ACTUALLY ONLY STEREO HEADPHONES! No amount of wishing will make them anything else. If you want the best audio quality, change your game settings to "headphone" mode
2) "7.1" is actually just headphone virtualization, which you can turn on in the headphone properties if your soundcard supports it
3) If your soundcard doesn't support virtualization even after installing the drivers, you'll have to use the dongle based sound card instead

Solution

Trevader24135

Commendable
Jul 11, 2016
if they're only stereo, what separates them from headsets marketed as stereo? they do only have the two drivers (I'm pretty sure), but what makes them "dolby 7.1" then?
also, on my other computer it does open up 7.1 surround sound options on games.

1) The ONLY things that separate them are marketing and a soundcard that downmixes 7.1 to stereo. The first is pointless, the second can easily be done by any decent audio codec (including the ones in most motherboards)
2) The games don't care what speakers you're connected to, only that the SOUNDCARD supports 7.1. As long as the soundcard supports that you'll see the option!
3) In game virtualization is usually much better than outputting 7.1 and then virtualization back to stereo, especially in those using OpenAL or pretty much the entire Battlefield line and other Frostbyte engine games.
-Think of it like an image in photoshop, what's better, first splitting the image into the four channels, reducing the image to quarter the size, and then resizing them to half the original size and mixing together, or just directly mixing everything down to half size directly? The second will always provide better results, and that's exactly what using "7.1" vs enabling headphone mode in-game actually looks like!