Question Windows 10 not auto signing in to most recent account ?

Jan 9, 2021
I have a spare PC computer, with two account profiles, One for me, one for my mother.

They are both local (not Microsoft) account profiles.

Her account has no (or blank) password, while my account does, but BOTH are set (through NETPLWIZ) to not require a password to sign in to the account.

Everything was fine, until I noticed this morning, that even if I am logged into her account, and restart (or turn off/on computer), it will default to auto sign in to my account.

If I change my account (through Netplwiz) to require entering a password to sign in, then it works (it will auto sign in to her account if she was last signed in)

But it was working fine, last week? 2 weeks ago? The only thing that I changed, (that I can remember), was I added an older external hard drive to the computer, set up with File History to backup files. It is set up through my account, my mother's account has no backup. I can't imagine that would change anything with the default sign in.

Not the biggest deal, but I'm curious why Windows is not remembering that last signed in account. :confused_old:

thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
Could try making a new local account, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-20de74e0-ac7f-3502-a866-32915af2a34d
give it same access as your mum had, ie, make it admin if she was.
go to C:/Users and copy the contents of your mums user account folder onto the new one, that gives her access to everything as before.
MIght need to logon to a few things again, and set up desktop.
set netplwiz up on that and see if it behaves

Users can get corrupted, I have had it happen before. Just make a new one and if it works fine, delete old one.

Jan 9, 2021
thank you for the response,

Yes, I think I may try that. I had an account profile get corrupted a long time ago, I don't remember the symptoms because it was so long ago, but I remember doing what you suggested (copying all contents over to new profile).

I am able to sign in to her account, and it works just fine. I also ran a sfc /scannow command, and it did not find any errors. So, not sure if it's a corrupted user profile, but if it really bugs me, I will try creating a new one.

This is a "spare" computer. So the only reason my mom would be using it, is if her PC stopped working. It's about 10 years old now (came with Windows 8.0 installed), so who knows if/when it breaks down.

I just want the spare computer to be VERY easily accessible to her, in case I can't be around to help, and she needs immediate access to email, medical accounts etc, without me guiding her through a process of signing in.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i had netplwiz set up and my user corrupted and PC would only sign on as a guest. I don't use auto logon now, its just as fast to put in a pin, but I understand your wanting to use it. I just don't trust it

Making things easy for your mom is a good thing. I am the help desk for mine. :)

I have 2 pc and a laptop , and i think i know why netplwiz wont work.
As you know , after typing netplwiz into the run box it brings you to a user account page and it shows your name and your microsoft email address , you then untick/tick a small box at top left and then you dont need you password .

On one of my pc the account page that pops up only shows my user name , no email address visible and no tick box.