[SOLVED] Windows 10 not booting after merging C and D partitions.

Aug 17, 2019
Hi People,

Windows 10 not booting after merging c drive and d drive using Aomei Partition Assistant Standard Edition.

I am using Dell Inspiron i3 4 core processor with Windows 10 inbuilt . I had previously 150 gb of C drive and wanted to extend it to 300gb. I could not use disk management tool of windows I had oem partition btw C drive and D drive hence I used Aoemi partition software. Everything went well and also system did all process. Later windows did not boot up and gives error as “A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed, Error code :0xc0000225”

I googled few things and also created USB bootable device using windows media creation in another computer. Few things I tried
  1. By booting using install media, I tried to use “repair your computer” (automatic repair) options but it could not fix and it just rebooted to same options.
  2. Later tried to reinstall the OS keep all the files, system settings but I got compatibility Report "The computer started using the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade."
  3. I tried to use command prompt in advance options to run few commands to run a disk check and system file check. sfc /scannow - scanned completed , chkdsk c: /f/r - it cleared bad sector for few hours then it aborted.
  4. Hardware test for hard disk fails
Present status: first dell logo next then black screen with cursor buffering. (Sometimes only dell logo looping)

I have installed USB bootable Linux mint and took backup of all files. Is there anything left or what exactly is the problem? Please help me to solve this as I am noob in this case. (Fresh install of windows I have not tried yet). I am very sorry if I have not used proper terminology when explaining.

Hope anyone has other solutions. Thanks in advance.

Edited: added the error code number

Last edited:
Solution
Hi there,

No, you've explained yourself pretty clearly :)

Hmm, i'd say it's possible the Aoemi app may have somehow overwritten the MBR (boot record) and perhaps the bios isn't picking it up.

If you have backed up files with a linux distro, it's prob best just to do a fresh install of windows on the drive. Given it's all one partition now, it will be easy to do a fresh install. Do a quick format of the drive in the windows set up screen before installing windows proper.

Try these instructions, and see if it helps.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/
Hi there,

No, you've explained yourself pretty clearly :)

Hmm, i'd say it's possible the Aoemi app may have somehow overwritten the MBR (boot record) and perhaps the bios isn't picking it up.

If you have backed up files with a linux distro, it's prob best just to do a fresh install of windows on the drive. Given it's all one partition now, it will be easy to do a fresh install. Do a quick format of the drive in the windows set up screen before installing windows proper.

Try these instructions, and see if it helps.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

Solution
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks for your replies and those links.

I have not tried the option of rebuilding the MBR from command prompt. I will give it a try.
If It does not then I will completely format and do a clean install of windows 10.

I will let you know the progress..

Aug 17, 2019
I don’t want to leave this thread without conclusion hence updating ,....

Tried fixing MBR , but the access denied error popped up and tried to fix that also however access denied problem retained.

Clean installation of windows helped to get back to my laptop...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help ...

I don’t want to leave this thread without conclusion hence updating ,....

Tried fixing MBR , but the access denied error popped up and tried to fix that also however access denied problem retained.

Clean installation of windows helped to get back to my laptop...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help ...

You're welcome. At least your back up and running again. Please choose an answer as the solution to close the thread.

TRENDING THREADS