Windows 10 Not Booting, Going to Grub Recovery From Old Kali Linux

OrangeVagabond

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Essentially I have dug a hole deeper and deeper, and now I am stuck.
So I had a normal Windows 10 computer and tried to dual boot Kali Linux. I shrunk the hard drive and ran kali through a USB all worked fine. Once I installed it and tried to boot into it, the login page was blank except for the default background. When I restarted it, I couldn't get into windows because an error that stated "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change may be why" etc etc. I pressed enter and it got me into the Kali boot loader, where I could select Kali or advanced. In advanced, there was an option called windows recovery, which led straight into my original windows. Windows was working, but I had to get through Kali to do so.

Then later on, I wanted to redo the whole Kali dual boot thing. I deleted the partition in windows disk management, and also saw what may have been the culprit, which was the Windows Partition hadn't been set as the active one, whatever that means. I restarted with the USB with Kali plugged in. The error message popped up once again, but now there is a grub recovery terminal after I press enter. I have tried doing LS in the grub loader, f8 when the computer started to boot and load all the options. But it hasn't worked yet. I don't have any data that is TOO important, but still I would like to get back to windows. I have the possibility of getting the windows recovery disk, but I would like to avoid that path seeing as I don't think I have one...

Thanks for readin about my stupidity, hopefully someone can help.

UPDATE:
I can use the windows recovery usb, and have attempted to run all the startup repair things, but nothing worked. I tried setting my active partition through cmd disk utility, but that didn't work either.

OrangeVagabond

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
It says:
Partition 1 Primary Size = 100MB Offset 1024KB
Partition 2 Primary Size = 891GB Offset 101MB
Partition 3 Recovery Size = 450MB Offset 931 GB
The free space I made for Kali Linux was around 39GB, and my windows partition was around 900GB-1T

Just format 100MB partition, make it active and recreate bootloader.
Commands would be like:

• diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    format fs=fat32 quick
    active
Reboot from windows installation media;
Run startup repair again;
Go to command prompt and execute

• bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec/fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

UserPixel

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Guys Look I don't think this is relevant to this case but I am stuck here: i'm stuck in a black screen which says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" and i'm really scared. I have tried every single button on the keyboard and even inserted a usb thumb drive which has kali linux in it after taking it out, this happened when I tried to restart through kali linux on my windows 10 pc, please anything or any kind of respond would be helpful!!! :(
Code:

TRENDING THREADS