[SOLVED] Windows 10 not booting off fresh usb

Sep 15, 2020
Hey guys, I am building my computer for my brother with my old parts, I know everything works because I took it out of my pc last week. I got everything up and running and have gone to install a new copy of windows on the computer. When put into “boot mode” the computer screen showed black with a bunch of pixelated white horizontal lines then turned off back to black screen. It is a Msi b350 pc mate. Any suggestions?

Solution
Pull the CPU and check for bent pins that may have happened during the installation. Also, check to see that the CPU cooler is plugged in and the mounting hardware is not compromised, with the cooler being equally tight all the way around. Make sure the memory is fully seated.

If nothing else pops up, bench test it.

Also, try a different SATA cable.
What is your Windows 10 installation media itself, ON? What kind of drive is the installation media on? Flash drive. Optical disk. External hard drive. etc.?

Also, what BIOS version is currently installed on your motherboard?

What are the FULL hardware specifications?

WHICH USB port are you trying to use, and have you tried a different one, preferably a USB 2.0 (Black) port, that is on the back of the motherboard?

Sep 15, 2020
What is your Windows 10 installation media itself, ON? What kind of drive is the installation media on? Flash drive. Optical disk. External hard drive. etc.?

Also, what BIOS version is currently installed on your motherboard?

What are the FULL hardware specifications?

WHICH USB port are you trying to use, and have you tried a different one, preferably a USB 2.0 (Black) port, that is on the back of the motherboard?

Specs:
Msi b350 pc mate
GeForce GTX 1660
Ryzen 5 3600x
16 gb ram
Wraith prism cooler

after further inspection the cpu light on the motherboard turns on after the boot up fails, maybe this is a cpu over heat or malfunction? I am using a san disk usb thumb stick for the boot. I’m thinking it might be a cpu failure like it overheated or is just faulty now, I had moved it from previous computer to this new one and is getting old. Although if you have any other thoughts on what it might be please let me know.

Pull the CPU and check for bent pins that may have happened during the installation. Also, check to see that the CPU cooler is plugged in and the mounting hardware is not compromised, with the cooler being equally tight all the way around. Make sure the memory is fully seated.

If nothing else pops up, bench test it.

Also, try a different SATA cable.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS