windows 10 not booting

geckosss

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
hi guys for about 2 days my asus laptop can't boot and i cannot use the command bootrec /rebuildbcd(it freezes) or other bootrec command from the command prompt found on my windows 10 installation usb, and when i click other troubleshoot options it tells me they are not available on my operating system(windows 10).
when i start up my computer normally without booting from the flash drive on which i have the win 10 installation media it gives me the error telling me that the bcd is not working or corrupt.
im thinking of getting some 3rd party tool to help me...please help :D

Solution
Doesn't seem like any of those could be bootloader partitions.
You don't have multiple drives in your laptop, do you?

Well - you can create bootloader partition, if you don't have one.
Use commands:

• diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    shrink desired=200
    create partition primary
    active
    format fs=fat32 quick
Then continue from part #2 of my previous post.

geckosss

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Guys...since neither recreating the boot partition nor sfc /scannow command worked, I think im going to reset as viveknayyar007 said...But I have a question regarding this reset...I acknowledge that I will lose my apps...but for example will I lose my savegames in the games that will be deleted?

Hello again geckosss

Generally, resetting Windows 10 doesn't remove your personal files unless you select the option. Although the saved game files should be considered your personal data, it would be good to back up the files to a different location.

Cheers!!

Really?
How did you do boot partition recreation? Are you sure, you did it right?

You should also run checkdsk on boot and windows partitions to check for bad blocks.

geckosss

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
hello again guys sorry for the delay...I got another win 10 USB flash drive and I ran chkdsk /f on the drive on which my win 10 is installed and it worked, but now I still get the bcd error and when I do bootrec /rebuildbcd it just tells me to wait and takes forever, and when I try to do bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup it tells me 'The store export operation failed. The system cannot find the file specified"...what can I do?

Recreate bootloader partition. If you don't know how, you should have asked for instructions.
These instructions are usefull if your disk is in MBR partitioning format and bootloader has separate partition. For GPT partition format instructions need slight modification. If bootloader has no separate partition, then you can't use these instructions or you'll loose data. Proceed with caution.

Steps are:
Part #1
boot from windows installation media;
goto command prompt;
use diskpart utility

• diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x (x=number of disk where bootloader partition resides)
    list partition
    select partition y (y=number of bootloader partition, don't use wrong number! or you'll loose data after executing next command)
    format fs=fat32 quick
Part #2
reboot from windows installation media;
choose fix startup
goto command prompt and execute

• bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
reboot and done.

If you have trouble identifying disk and partition numbers for bootloader partition, then post output of list disk and list partition commands here.

geckosss

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
ok so I selected disk 0 which has 3 partitions, partition 1 primary 684 GB offset 1024 kb, partition 2 recovery 465 mb offset 684gb, and partition 3 primary 13 gb offset 685gb...which partition is the one with the bootloader?

Doesn't seem like any of those could be bootloader partitions.
You don't have multiple drives in your laptop, do you?

Well - you can create bootloader partition, if you don't have one.
Use commands:

• diskpart
    select disk 0
    select partition 1
    shrink desired=200
    create partition primary
    active
    format fs=fat32 quick
Then continue from part #2 of my previous post.

Solution