[SOLVED] Windows 10 not detecting HDD, but BIOS does

Jul 12, 2020
Hi,

I managed to get everything set up but I'm noticing that the HDD doesn't seem to be in windows at all. It doesn't appear in device manager, but it appears in the BIOS as one of the boot options. I'm using a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD and when I looked on their website, it says that they don't have windows drivers for their SATA devices, so I don't think it's a driver issue. What can be done to help it recognize?

Thank you

Solution
Just an update: I found it in the most peculiar little spot in my device manager, I never would have looked, but it was under some kind of driver file, I didn't even think to look in there. In any case, I just saw that it matched the number on my hard drive's box, went in there and updated the driver through device manager, it recognized it as a disk drive, and I went in and made the unallocated space into a new disk drive with allocate-able space. Thank you both for your help.

popatim

Titan
Whats on this drive ?

1: It may not be initialized for File Explorer to show. - Run Disk Management
2: It may need a drive letter assigned to it - you do this in Disk Management as well.
3: It may be empty - File Explorer hides empty drives by default
4: It may be the boot drive from another system - Modern UEFI bios's block access to foreign OS's - Turn off Secure boot in the bios but I would recommend attaching it thru USB first and running a full mal-ware scan on it first.

Jul 12, 2020
Whats on this drive ?

1: It may not be initialized for File Explorer to show. - Run Disk Management
2: It may need a drive letter assigned to it - you do this in Disk Management as well.
3: It may be empty - File Explorer hides empty drives by default
4: It may be the boot drive from another system - Modern UEFI bios's block access to foreign OS's - Turn off Secure boot in the bios but I would recommend attaching it thru USB first and running a full mal-ware scan on it first.
Nothing's on the drive quite yet-this is a brand new build. I'm trying to use it as additional storage, I have an NvME that boots windows. Could you specify what I'm looking for in disk management please?

popatim

Titan
Typically DM willnotify you that you have a drive that needs initializing when you enter the utility.
If it doesn't, then check the lower section for the drive . The upper section lists the Volume's (partitions).
  1. if the drive is listed and the long rectangular section to the right side shows 'Unallocated' then rt click there and select initialize.
  2. if the drive is there but the rt side shows partitions then drive is used. Rt click on each partition and select Delete. return to step 1 when the drive shows as being fully unallocated.
  3. if the drive doesn't show up at all then we have other issues going on. Let us know if that's the case and we can guide you thru running a "clean all" on it.

Jul 12, 2020
Typically DM willnotify you that you have a drive that needs initializing when you enter the utility.
If it doesn't, then check the lower section for the drive . The upper section lists the Volume's (partitions).
  1. if the drive is listed and the long rectangular section to the right side shows 'Unallocated' then rt click there and select initialize.
  2. if the drive is there but the rt side shows partitions then drive is used. Rt click on each partition and select Delete. return to step 1 when the drive shows as being fully unallocated.
  3. if the drive doesn't show up at all then we have other issues going on. Let us know if that's the case and we can guide you thru running a "clean all" on it.
The only one I'm seeing in here is the NvME and its partition. I don't see the 2TB at all. I'm also contacting Seagate support to see if they can offer a bit of insight.

Jul 12, 2020
Just an update: I found it in the most peculiar little spot in my device manager, I never would have looked, but it was under some kind of driver file, I didn't even think to look in there. In any case, I just saw that it matched the number on my hard drive's box, went in there and updated the driver through device manager, it recognized it as a disk drive, and I went in and made the unallocated space into a new disk drive with allocate-able space. Thank you both for your help.

Solution