Windows 10 not downloading updates

Pauuuuulix

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
Hello once again, as I received no answers I will report it.
My issue here is that windows update is stuck at 0% and not downloading anything.
No updates are installed yet, none. I have searched online quite a lot and I have tried going through a long process of deleting SowftwareDistribution folder and I have used windows updatediagnostics. Nothing helps. In addition to that every time at boot and before shutting down it displays "Getting Windows ready. Don't turn off your computer" for a short period.
I am really frustrated and in need of help.

Solution
The VPN would just let you connect "directly" to the university's network. If one of their servers isn't pushing updates (does not sound like they are), then you would still be using the regular Windows Update service.

Honestly, it seems that you may need a complete re-install of your OS at this point. Something is certainly not working correctly. Did you upgrade from a previous version of Windows to Win 10 Enterprise, or was it a clean install?

Pauuuuulix

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
Currently it is not, needs to be activated after every 180 days from the university's network, as it is winter now (I am using my computer at home) and it expired two weeks ago i haven't been able to reactivate it. But if it's the solution I will certainly plan it next thing tomorrow. Thank you.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
How long have you let your system run after checking for updates? Honestly, it can take some time occasionally. You might try allowing your system to stay on overnight and allowing Windows Update time to automatically update per your system's settings (assuming you have configured to do so).

Just a thought. Also, from the post above, do you know what update was stuck at 16%?

Pauuuuulix

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
Whenever I check it still displays 0%. The settings are all set to automatic.
When it got stuck at 16% it was downloading all the available updates at once (5-6 updates).
Funny thing is that I am checking it right now again and now only 4 updates are available (maybe 1-2 of them got somehow downloaded, heh?).
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3135782)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - February 2016 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3135174)
Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3106932)
All of them are downloading but at 0%. I'll try keeping my computer on overnight.

Pauuuuulix

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - February 2016 (KB890830) 5X TIMES failed to install
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5817.0) 2X TIMES failed to install
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.213.5806.0) 2X TIMES failed to install
Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372) 1X TIMES failed to install
Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3106932) 1X TIMES failed to install

There really is nothing installed. Everything is failed to install.

Pauuuuulix

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
Uhh, I am not sure I decently understood you. At university's network it did not download updates aswell and domains... what do you mean by that? Also may a VPN have something to do with it? Some tech guy at university said windows can be reactivated via VPN so maybe I do need some kind of VPN connection to university for updates?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Earlier, you said your install was now activated, how did you "phone home"?

In some domains, Windows Updates are limited to those pushed by domain resources and the "regular" Windows Update function (direct to MS) is disabled.

The VPN mentioned above would have to be to a VPN used by the university. Do you have access to such a connection?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The VPN would just let you connect "directly" to the university's network. If one of their servers isn't pushing updates (does not sound like they are), then you would still be using the regular Windows Update service.

Honestly, it seems that you may need a complete re-install of your OS at this point. Something is certainly not working correctly. Did you upgrade from a previous version of Windows to Win 10 Enterprise, or was it a clean install?

Solution

Pauuuuulix

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
Well... problem was solved by itself. A minute ago when I turned on my computer it started to install updates and after finally logging in and checking updates section I was happy to find out my device is up to date. :) You'll get a best solution just for showing up and helping when nobody other did.