Question windows 10 not installing on new build

Aug 16, 2020
So hey guys,

I have a single m.2 storage that I was going to install windows on; however when I try to choose it in the windows installation wizard I get the following error:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

So the first thing I found was disabling CSM... and it actually stopped the whole thing from POSTing... I had to remove the battery and clear bios to get it back

Also tried a bootable partioning software to format the ssd to no avail

Then I tried using an hdd I had around... got the exact same error

Finally I took out my laptop's hdd with windows on it and tried to see if it booted... it actually did.. but that really wasn't what I was going for... still managed to migrate my OS to the ssd but i'd really like to have a fresh install.

my specs:
ryzen 7 3700x
asus prime B450 MA
some random 128 GB sdd by some random brand.

simonyeeklang

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 22, 2011
in the bios there is a caveat if you are using m.2 the penalty two of the sata port will be used as the supporting for the nvme or m.2.
Those SATA ports cannot be used for anything other than the SSD.
Everything should be UEFI only.

Please check your ASUS manual to confirm
Page 1-2
The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed

Aug 16, 2020
in the bios there is a caveat if you are using m.2 the penalty two of the sata port will be used as the supporting for the nvme or m.2.
Those SATA ports cannot be used for anything other than the SSD.
Everything should be UEFI only.

Please check your ASUS manual to confirm
Page 1-2
The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed
hey thanks for replying, I was using the SATA_1 port.... so wasn't really all that helpful...and my M.2 doesn't even showup in the BIOS