Question Windows 10 not recognizing any SSD

Mar 21, 2019
Ok so, this problem is actually more than what the title says, and i cant actually put it in a specific category cuz i dont know what my problem is. Hopefully you guys can help me.

So this started about 2 months ago, I usually leave my pc on unless i know im not gonna return or something but i work from my house and im also a gamer so i use my pc almost all day.

So the problem starts when suddely while using it, starts to slow down a bit, and fastly develops into freezing chrome, then freezes like whatever game im playing, then i try to go to task manager or something and freezes explorer.exe untill everything is basically frozen, making me do a hard restart.

When i restart my PC, lots of things start happening like the following and i keep reseting:

1- startus up and doesnt recognize my SSD and jumps directly to my HDD (Not a booting problem because i have my SSD as default).

2- Starts windows and freezes on the first screen

3- Starts windows and gives me the option to select between windows 7 and windows 10, which i always select windows 10. and freezes.

3- I disconect my HDD and try running the SSD solo and always gives me the option to "reboot and select propper device"

Then i start troubleshooting like, trying to install windows. BIOS always recognizes my SSD but when i go to delete partitions my SSD is not shown, i tried looking fo rit in the CMD and it doesnt find my SSD.

Also i tried using a working SSD (My brothers) and it tells me the same "reboot or select proper device".

After an hour of trying new things and new ports etc. i go back to the original setup, and then suddenly after some tries it just lets me enter windows on my SSD with my HDD conected (Apprently HDD HAS to be conected for some reason) and i can work/play on my pc for 5 or 6 days until it happens again.

Im like 1 more freeze away from just buying a new computer. But i guess coming to this forums where i usually find the answers to all my problems will be my last shot. Hopeully i can get a fix even if i ened to replace some hardware.

Thanks to everyone who read this.

You poor son of a gun, what a mess. That first paragraph description about the freezing slowly affecting all the desktop functions, one after another, until finally all is frozen, well, that is frankly hilarious.

So what's up ? The first thing you gotta do is fix the boot set up. I suspect that both drives were attached when you installed windows on one, looks like the SSD. One must remove/disengage all drives but the install drive when you install windows. So do that.

Back up whatever you want to save that is on the SSD to the HDD, remove/disengage the HDD and install windows on the SSD.

I note you tried an install on the SSD but set up did not make the SSD available. Well if that happens again, install on the HDD and clone back to the SSD.

If the freezing comes back let us know !

Mar 21, 2019
I tried doing that, but when windows asks me where do i want to install windows, it doesnt recognize my SSD, also it didnt recognize my brothers' (Which is a functional SSD). as for the cloning, ill have to look that up, never done that.

USAFRet

Titan
You have the problem of the HDD+SSD because you installed the OS (Win 10?) on the SSD, while the HDD (Win 7?) was still connected.

Disconnect all drives except the SSD, and reinstall, deleting ALL partitions on it as you do this.

Mar 21, 2019
So now, it did recognize my SDD for some reason, and im installing windows with my HDD not hooked in. Hopefully that will end my freezes. Ill keep you updated, thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so, while i was installing, it said something about my disk being damaged and that i shouldnt install windows on it, so im guessing im gonna have to buy one
And that comes back around to:
"when suddely while using it, starts to slow down a bit, and fastly develops into freezing chrome, then freezes like whatever game im playing, then i try to go to task manager or something and freezes explorer.exe untill everything is basically frozen "

Yes, it sounds like a replacement is in order.
Is it still under warranty?

Mar 21, 2019
Nope, its really old tbh, just bought one and it let me install windows with no problem, im configuring atm and downloading drivers and stuff. Hopefully thats the end of that.

As for my HDD, should i just connect it afterwards, or should i backup + format to get rid of the windows 7 thingy?

USAFRet

Titan
Nope, its really old tbh, just bought one and it let me install windows with no problem, im configuring atm and downloading drivers and stuff. Hopefully thats the end of that.

As for my HDD, should i just connect it afterwards, or should i backup + format to get rid of the windows 7 thingy?
Unless you really, really, really need that Win 7, I'd wipe that drive and use as desired.
All partitions, not just "format'.

Mar 21, 2019
So i bought new SSD, deleted partitions on HDD, and still have freezes when im using my pc, the only difference is it freezes for about 4 or 5 seconds, then continues to run smoothly, instead of completely shutting down. Any ideas?

You have not mentioned flashing the last bios. Looking at support history, the latest was unleashed in 2014. With all the erratic and unpredictable issues arising, like spots on the sun, there for a second and then gone, I surmise the mboard is slowly taking leave of this world.

As a last ditch effort, your Hail Mary equivalent, I would flash the bios update . If that does not work, well, use your discretion .Try to make it as painless as possible.