[SOLVED] Windows 10 not recognizing Sony sound bar (HT-CT390)

Metallica93

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
I had my Sony HT-390 plugged into my desktop via S/PDIF (optical) and it was working just fine. Unfortunately, optical apparently has a bit of converting to do (digital -> optical -> digital -> analog), which caused latency while playing anything on my bass or guitar in Rocksmith 2014. The sound bar has two other ports: H.D.M.I. A.R.C. and analog. Apparently, A.R.C. is not your standard H.D.M.I. output (i.e. it won't receive audio from my desktop), so I tried a 3.5mm cable from the sound bar to my desktop and... nothing :/

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do not. Some things of note:

1) The sound bar still shows up as a playback device, but Windows 10/Realtek HD Audio Manager seems to think it's still using the optical connection when I unplugged it.
2) I've uninstalled the drivers half a dozen times (I needed to get the Audio Manager after Windows 10 apparently broke it a couple of years ago) and rebooted, but nothing seems to work.
3) I went through the sound bar's manual to make sure all settings were good, but I'm still not getting any sound on the Analog channel.
4) There is no latency while using my headphones (front headphone jack of my desktop) nor my built-in monitor speakers (connected via DisplayPort). I'd just prefer to not be tethered by my desk by another cable (headphones) nor use the crappy monitor speakers when I have a 2.1 sound system to crank my bass and guitars through.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm just utterly stumped on this one.

Metallica93

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
set the headphone or speaker output as default playback device in windows audio manager
https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/e...ndows-Default-Playback-Recording-Audio-Device

I was doing that the entire time. Just a rather basic step I forgot to mention. My bad.

So... this just got interesting. This entire time, I had my headphones plugged in. I could switch from headphones (3.5mm front jack) to my monitor (DisplayPort) to the sound bar (optical) with a left-click of the volume icon. Then, swapping out the optical cable for a 3.5mm one meant getting no sound.

And then I unplugged the headphones. And now it's working. But I have no clue in hell as to why this is happening.

Realtek HD Audio Manager is still saying that my sound bar is connected via optical when it's not. But now, it seems the front headphone jack is apparently overriding the rear one (currently labeled "Front Speaker Out"), which means I can't freely switch between them without unplugging my headphones.

It's also labeling both the front and rear jacks as my headphones instead of two different devices.

I mean, yay for having sound again, but I'm not sure I can mark this "Resolved" yet. Any ideas?

Which motherboard are you using?

2) I've uninstalled the drivers half a dozen times (I needed to get the Audio Manager after Windows 10 apparently broke it a couple of years ago) and rebooted, but nothing seems to work.

update the realtek driver in windows device manager

In windows 10 usually the realtek audio manager is not there anymore and you will have to use the audio manager of windows 10.

Metallica93

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Which motherboard are you using?

update the realtek driver in windows device manager

In windows 10 usually the realtek audio manager is not there anymore and you will have to use the audio manager of windows 10.

I'm using an MSI X470 Gaming Plus.

So... you want me to update the drivers and not be able to use Realtek HD Audio Manager... after I did all of that just to get it back? lol. Getting the Audio Manager to work in Windows 10 is the only reason I have any of this information, in the first place.

Windows 10's "manager" is just Settings -> Sound, as far as I'm aware. It's nowhere near as detailed.

At the very least, are front headphone jacks supposed to mute/override the rear ones? At least I'd understand that. But Windows calling them the exact save device is baffling.

TRENDING THREADS