[SOLVED] Windows 10 Not Recognizing USB

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Hello, I have a Cruzer Glide 16GB USB that my pc does not seem to be recognizing when I plug it in. I need it in my process of reinstalling Windows 10 due to my computer being extremely broken as of late. I can see it under "devices" in settings, but nowhere else on my computer. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
If your flash drive is working on mac and not being detected on pc, then could be - USB port is broken on pc.

Anyway - just try a different USB flash drive.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Did that, and the problem is only on my computer.
if you already have the windows reinstall files on the usb. (if not, use the mac to do that). Try booting off the USB. You can do this by hitting the windows button, clicking power, then hold down left shift and click restart. And dont let go of shift until the system opens up a blue screen that has recovery options, navagate through that UI into advanced settings and choose to boot from the USB drive.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
if you already have the windows reinstall files on the usb. (if not, use the mac to do that). Try booting off the USB. You can do this by hitting the windows button, clicking power, then hold down left shift and click restart. And dont let go of shift until the system opens up a blue screen that has recovery options, navagate through that UI into advanced settings and choose to boot from the USB drive.
I will try this later tonight if I cannot get the USB to work.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Also, a question - what do I do in the event that there is no option to boot from the USB?

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
If your flash drive is working on mac and not being detected on pc, then could be - USB port is broken on pc.

Anyway - just try a different USB flash drive.
I know for a fact that the USB port is not broken - I've switched around the USB ports and whatnot, and I'm sure all of them work, as anything else I plug into them works fine. It's just the USB. I might have another USB I could use, but it makes no sense that my USB would just decide to not work with my pc. Although, maybe it's related to the reason I'm nuking my pc in the first place.

What do you mean by "disk drives section expanded"?
Like in this screenshot.

external-disk-in-device-manager.jpg

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Do you mean you cant get in the window where you choose what you want to boot off of? Or you can get into that screen but the USB doesnt show in the results with all the other options.
I am saying theoretically if I get into the boot menu and the USB doesn't show up as an option - what would be my course of action?

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
I am saying theoretically if I get into the boot menu and the USB doesn't show up as an option - what would be my course of action?
the only reason im telling you to boot off the usb, is if you already have the windows installation iso on your USB. If you dont, do that first. If you do have the windows files on your USB. Then you can proceed to trying to boot off of it, as it will bring you right into where you want to be, (the menu for installing windows). If your USB doesnt show up in the list of bootable drives. No worries because all you have to do is click the back button a few times and go back to the option where you can shut down your pc. Once you reboot it, youll be back in windows normally.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
the only reason im telling you to boot off the usb, is if you already have the windows installation iso on your USB. If you dont, do that first. If you do have the windows files on your USB. Then you can proceed to trying to boot off of it, as it will bring you right into where you want to be, (the menu for installing windows). If your USB doesnt show up in the list of bootable drives. No worries because all you have to do is click the back button a few times and go back to the option where you can shut down your pc. Once you reboot it, youll be back in windows normally.
Alright, that's the information I was looking for. I'll try it out tonight when I have the time to nuke my pc.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
Alright, that's the information I was looking for. I'll try it out tonight when I have the time to nuke my pc.
As i said, make sure the windows files to reinstall are on the USB, and that it is the ONLY thing on the usb.. make sure you dont just download the media creation tool and put it on the usb.. You have to actually run the tool and then when it prompts where you want to burn the iso, you select the usb.