[SOLVED] Windows 10 Not Recognizing USB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Hello, I have a Cruzer Glide 16GB USB that my pc does not seem to be recognizing when I plug it in. I need it in my process of reinstalling Windows 10 due to my computer being extremely broken as of late. I can see it under "devices" in settings, but nowhere else on my computer. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
If your flash drive is working on mac and not being detected on pc, then could be - USB port is broken on pc.

Anyway - just try a different USB flash drive.

Quickless

Reputable
Nov 10, 2019
As i said, make sure the windows files to reinstall are on the USB, and that it is the ONLY thing on the usb.. make sure you dont just download the media creation tool and put it on the usb.. You have to actually run the tool and then when it prompts where you want to burn the iso, you select the usb. then after it is done downloading all the windows stuff on that usb, then it is ready to be plugged in and booted from.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
As i said, make sure the windows files to reinstall are on the USB, and that it is the ONLY thing on the usb.. make sure you dont just download the media creation tool and put it on the usb.. You have to actually run the tool and then when it prompts where you want to burn the iso, you select the usb.
Right, thanks.

athleos

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I know for a fact that the USB port is not broken - I've switched around the USB ports and whatnot, and I'm sure all of them work, as anything else I plug into them works fine. It's just the USB. I might have another USB I could use, but it makes no sense that my USB would just decide to not work with my pc. Although, maybe it's related to the reason I'm nuking my pc in the first place.
[Just for the fun of it I'm leaving the typo's in].
I have tried everything to fix this problem with my "kingston HyperX 120 GB flash drive"; yes, EVERY Fix out there. Nutting worked! Not detected in device manager nor in "drive management" - it just doesn't exist. . Then, strangely I tried plugging it in - via a usb2 extention, and it worked - but only at usb2 speeds. So I pulled it out thinking the glitch was fixed and plugged it into a usb3 port and ... Holy fat dongle batman, it still diddn't work???
What the hell is going on here. Then I tried again via a heavy usb3 cable exention and it worked only if the drive was slightly tilted to the left??? What!!! Plugged straight in - didn't work; tilted to the right - didn't work! What the bananas is going on here. I took my pill this morning so this can't be a hellusination. Right?? Sooo, ... I went to my top secret evil genious lavatori - still with me folks?? I got out my forensic fluorescent doughnut magnifying lamp and looked straight down the throat if that gagging flashdrive, and "dear god jim", my usb drive had a terrible case of kat scratch fever, that is to say, a dark gray fuzzy fur-ball jammed deep down inside the usb key - pressing against two of the five spring connetors. I removes the furry lint ball and now my superfast hyperx usb3 flash drive is working perfectly. Duh? user error I must remember to keep the usb cover on, whilst travelling with it in my pocket (my bad).

athleos

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
If your flash drive is working on mac and not being detected on pc, then could be - USB port is broken on pc.

Anyway - just try a different USB flash drive.
And one more time. [Just for the fun of it I'm leaving the typo's in].
I have tried everything to fix this problem with my "kingston HyperX 120 GB flash drive"; yes, EVERY Fix out there. Nutting worked! Not detected in device manager nor in "drive management" - it just doesn't exist. . Then, strangely I tried plugging it in - via a usb2 extention, and it worked - but only at usb2 speeds. So I pulled it out thinking the glitch was fixed and plugged it into a usb3 port and ... Holy fat dongle batman, it still diddn't work???
What the hell is going on here. Then I tried again via a heavy usb3 cable exention and it worked only if the drive was slightly tilted to the left??? What!!! Plugged straight in - didn't work; tilted to the right - didn't work! What the bananas is going on here. I took my pill this morning so this can't be a hellusination. Right?? Sooo, ... I went to my top secret evil genious lavatori - still with me folks?? I got out my forensic fluorescent doughnut magnifying lamp and looked straight down the throat if that gagging flashdrive, and "dear god jim", my usb drive had a terrible case of kat scratch fever, that is to say, a dark gray fuzzy fur-ball jammed deep down inside the usb key - pressing against two of the five spring connetors. I removes the furry lint ball and now my superfast hyperx usb3 flash drive is working perfectly. Duh? user error I must remember to keep the usb cover on, whilst travelling with it in my pocket (my bad).