Windows 10 not reconnecting disconnected third monitor

rth_

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I was messing about with the settings of my third monitor (which is just a TV), and I was changing the resolution of it to suit the screen size. The monitor/tv said: "No Signal Through PC" and then in the advanced display settings I selected "Disconnect this Display".

I don't know how to get it reconnected, I've tried unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in, and also restarted my computer. I've also tried to "Detect" it but Windows "Didn't detect another display".

I know that Windows knows that it's there - in the "Multiple Displays" dropdown it says "Duplicate desktop on 1 and 3".

How can I reconnect it?

Thanks. I'm on Windows 10 with a GTX 970.

Paul_38

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015

Thank you!!! I've been troubleshooting this for an hour now, can't believe it's so buried.

stretchymantis

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Thought I'd share this since I attempted the above resolution but sadly, I think an Windows update must have taken the 'Screen Resolution' option away, as I didn't have it. This may pertain only to Intel graphics. My setup was: Two monitors connected to an onboard Intel HD Graphics 530, and one monitor connected to an NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti. I chose 'Disconnect this Monitor' on one connected to the Intel HD Graphics. After a zillion and a half hours, my solution was to press CTRL+ALT+F8 (shortcut used & assigned by Intel Graphics Properties app; Go to that setting manually by right-clicking Desktop -> Graphics Properties... (this opens Intel HD Graphics Control Panel)-> Options and Support -> Restore Graphics Defaults (up at the top, not actually selectable which is odd, but does allow you to assign a shortcut).

After that, they seemed to reset but not much else. I chose to duplicate the screens, then FINALLY all three monitors were on and my problem monitor was NOT greyed out in display properties. Then did Windows Key+P and chose 'PC Screen Only', then back to 'Extend Display'. THEN I had all three monitors running as before this horrid mess. How annoying!

Hope this helps someone.

Adios,
J

Turbopuschel

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
I had the same problem as strechymantis, as the "Screen Resolution" option was nowhere to be found.
BUT if you're using an NVIDIA card this may help you: For me there was a link to the NVIDIA control panel (don't know if it is called exactly that in english, I live in Germany). I opened it and found the option to activate my third monitor/TV under Display -> Set up multiple displays by checking the corresponding box.

tehbull91

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
I also have the same problem where monitor is listed by windows as disconnected, and it won't let me extend desktop and enable. I have tried the nvidia control panel and whenever I select the monitor the computer lags for 2 seconds, checks and unchecked the monitor not allowing me to enable it. Any help would be appreciated

Reactions: autumnm