[SOLVED] Windows 10 not updating after cloning from HDD to SSD

Oct 12, 2021
Hello. A few months ago I got really frustrated by my dead slow laptop, which I use for all my school work and decided to upgrade to an M2. SSD as I knew the source of the problem was my HDD. Both Drives are 1 TB so I decided to go with cloning as it's the quickest solution because I needed to se the computer, I used Macrium reflect to do that and decided to keep the old drive for personal files. Now everything worked fine and my laptop is really quick and responsive. However, the problem is that my laptop is not updating but always rolling back the updates since I did the transfer. downloading new apps and programs is working well. I know that the problem is with the boot files because I assume that the EFI partition is still mapped on the old drive. I had similar problem with my friend's laptop but in his case the laptop was not booting at all because with completely formatted his HDD when we transferred unlike in my case I just formatted the files partition. I managed to solve his with a windows installation USB and I think I used bootrec. but I do not know what to do in my case please help!

My diskpart
View: https://imgur.com/a/kGXR1oS

Disk0 is the HDD and 1 is the SSD
View: https://imgur.com/a/dU5l8lT

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 12, 2021
After the clone process...

Did you power OFF, physically disconnect the original drive
Allow the system to boot up from only the new drive?

No I did not disconnect he HDD. But I assume that my laptop will not work no? As I mentioned in my friend's case with a fully formatted HDD windows did not boot even tho the SSD had all the files.

Should I disconnect it? and if so I also need my hdd how to use both. Thanks for the help

USAFRet

Titan
No I did not disconnect he HDD. But I assume that my laptop will not work no? As I mentioned in my friend's case with a fully formatted HDD windows did not boot even tho the SSD had all the files.

Should I disconnect it? and if so I also need my hdd how to use both. Thanks for the help
Yes, try it now.

Power OFF
Physically disconnect/remove the old drive.
Power UP

Does it work?

Oct 12, 2021
Yes, try it now.

Power OFF
Physically disconnect/remove the old drive.
Power UP

Does it work?

Hey man. So I removed the HDD and powered up the laptop and it worked without a problem. However, I tried to update windows again and got the same error "Windows updates failed to install, rolling back changes". Should I boot windows from a usb flash drive and try to do some trouble shooting?

Oct 12, 2021
I suggest leaving it alone for a few days.
See what happens on its own.

It's been more than 3 months actually since I cloned the drive.
If you check my pictures in the first thread, do you think i should delete a specific partition or fix my boot files using cmd in a flash drive bootable windows?