Windows 10 not working after update today (black flashing home screen)

housecarl2066

Reputable
Jan 6, 2018
Firstly, please bear with me during this thread as I am now reduced to accessing and typing using smart phone with badly damaged screen, may be poor grammar and mistakes.

This morning I woke up and my windows 10 was updating (I'm using hp pro 3300 Sff)

It spent hours updating and in fact went through the same process several times.

Finally the computer booted after 3-4 hours of this and it received this message

"C:\windows\system 32\desktop\config\systemprofile\desktop

Unavailable"

There was a bit more to that message but that was all I wrote down and I don't think the parts I missed were much help.

Now the computer screen is black bit some of the icons are flashing at the bottom including the start menu, search icon, and the time and date at the bottom right hand corner. None of these will work when I click on them, I can get task manager to work via ctrl alt delete and it tells me no tasks are running.

I'm trying to Upload video of flashing icons and black screen but can't do it with broken smarty phone, when I have figured out a way of uploading a video I will asap.

Please help and many thanks
Carl

Solution
If you can get into Safe Mode, you might be able to roll back the changes; this is a slightly older system and M$ have been suggesting for a while that older systems should probably stop running updates at some point.

The first suggested "Do NOT proceed" update was last Spring, so it could be your system is not too old to take this crap, sorry "modern operating system update".

It would help if they actually let people have full control over updates, but if they did that 99% of the planet would still be using Win7 or Win8.1.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
If you can get into Safe Mode, you might be able to roll back the changes; this is a slightly older system and M$ have been suggesting for a while that older systems should probably stop running updates at some point.

The first suggested "Do NOT proceed" update was last Spring, so it could be your system is not too old to take this crap, sorry "modern operating system update".

It would help if they actually let people have full control over updates, but if they did that 99% of the planet would still be using Win7 or Win8.1.

Solution