Question Windows 10 not working properly

Norryv

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Hi guys,

2 days ago I got an windowd update and went to restart my pc. When the update was installing, it got stuck at 35% and I left it over night. In the mornimg it was still at 35%, but it wasm't frozen because the dots were circling normally. I needed to use my pc so I restarted it with a button and the update was finished in like 5 seconds. The odd thing was that my auto sign in option was turned off, so I had to enter my password when turning on the computer.
After the whole day of using the pc, at one point it just froze. I couldn't click anything but start and when the start opened I couldn't click on any app or shutdown button. Right click would just get the blue circle loading icon and was stuck that way. Ctrl+shift+esc and ctrl+alt+del were also unresponsive. I turned the pc off manually, disconected the PSU and pressed power button to get rid of leftover power. Then when I turned the pc on, everything was normal.
However, today I changed settings to auto sign in like it was before, and the same thing happened at the next startup. Except this time even the startup apps didn't start and everything is unresponsive. Its like my whole desktop is a picture because I don't get any imdication that the icon is an icon or start is start.
Is there a solution except doing a clean install?

D

Deleted member 14196

Instead of running the update you should create a new iso- of the latest Windows 10 and install that As a clean install. Because next time you update you probably have the same problem

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running the windows update troubelshooter - it is in settings/update & security/troubleshoot - should be in top section under Getting up and running

Try this:
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Check you have latest drivers for PC as that could have been reason it stopped working, some driver updates can hold back installs.

what are specs of PC as the way Cumulative updates work is you only should get any updates if there is something for the PC, so if it stopped, there might have been something it was trying to update.

What update was it? go to setting/update & security/windows update and click on view update history. CLick the link for the update you removed and show the page link here

If you on latest build, I could guess you got: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4493509/windows-10-update-kb4493509