Windows 10 not working

thunder0024

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
I started up my PC this morning, and Windows prompted me with a screen saying "Windows is trying to repair disk errors". That lasted for about two minutes, then the PC restarted. Everything seemed fine until I logged in. Once I logged in, I noticed that all my preferences were gone. No desktop background, the taskbar was empty except for the Start, Search and Task View buttons. The taskbar was also flickering and I was unable to click anything. Using ctrl+alt+del I got the task manager open, and got the command prompt up. Did the /sfc scannow and there were no violations.
I then reset the PC and, before I could do anything, Windows tried to update. Got the "All your files are exactly where you left them" message. As soon as it started up, I had the same issue. I reset it again, this time in safe mode. I managed to get the file browser open, and everything seems to be where it should. I can't access any of Windows' settings. Start button still doesn't work, and programs won't start.
Any suggestions?

Solution
Your profile corrupted.

You can run checkdesk (right click on hard drive, properties, tools, error-checking) to see about fixing the disk errors. If the drive is in bad health then it wont really fix the problems. You can reinstall windows but again if the drive is in bad shape it will corrupt again. If this is the case you should get a new hard drive, and I would highly suggest an SSD drive then.
Your profile corrupted.

You can run checkdesk (right click on hard drive, properties, tools, error-checking) to see about fixing the disk errors. If the drive is in bad health then it wont really fix the problems. You can reinstall windows but again if the drive is in bad shape it will corrupt again. If this is the case you should get a new hard drive, and I would highly suggest an SSD drive then.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you resetting it and keeping your files/settings? as if so, that is why it keeps breaking again. If your profile is the problem, you need to delete your user by doing full reset. This is essentially a fresh install of Win 10, so you need to reinstall everything from scratch.

As such If you want to save stuff off C I would try http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ or just move hdd to another pc and copy data off it that way.

if you have steam library folders you can move them and reuse them again. Once win 10 reinstalled and steam installed, you can go into settings for library locations and just select the old folder without needing to reload games.