[SOLVED] windows 10 now boots and launches internet explorer

hey everyone, the other day i was doing maintenance on my mom's laptop, the cleaning, removing old programs, anti virus scan, and updates. however after everything was said and done she continues to have this annoyance. After doing the virus scan and then updating windows 10 every time the laptop "turns on" it's only when it's turning on that it will open internet explorer and it's just random google images every time. What annoys me is it's internet explorer and her default browser is chrome everything else even pc related that auto opens the internet browser launches with chrome why not this...???

Anti virus iobit advanced system care ultimate paid license key "detects no problems" i even ran avast after and it said no problems
windows 10 update, was the latest update i check her updates every other day.
and i actually didn't remove any programs this time around she was still using all of the ones she had,
cleaning all i did was clean the dust out of the case

Solution
There seem to be some issues with the new feature in 1903 that is supposed to allow you to restart your system and "pick up where you left off."

I occasionally have Firefox fired up even though I know I manually exited every running program (in the foreground) prior to shutting down.

After a while it stopped, but it happens occasionally at random. I just close it down and move along with life if I don't actually want Firefox up. I have not found anything "out there" that gives a clear root cause for this nor a solution, and in the world of annoyances, this is a very minor one.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Saddly i thought that in the begging to but no, it's just the usual win10 startup crap java, Epson wireless printer

Hmmm. Strange. However, I'd disable anything that's not a Windows critical process, rule out all the potential culprits.
"Epson wireless printer" seems unlikely, but it's not Windows-critical, nor is java etc. Beyond "Windows security notification" and probably your onboard audio driver, almost everything in 'startup' could be disabled to rule in/out a rogue application.

Reactions: white.a.drew
If you want to look a little deeper into tasks, Microsoft's Sysinternals AUTORUNS utility will show much more than task manager does.

A thorough malware / antivirus scan is in order.

Try going to Sign-in options /privacy. Disable "Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart"

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
There seem to be some issues with the new feature in 1903 that is supposed to allow you to restart your system and "pick up where you left off."

I occasionally have Firefox fired up even though I know I manually exited every running program (in the foreground) prior to shutting down.

After a while it stopped, but it happens occasionally at random. I just close it down and move along with life if I don't actually want Firefox up. I have not found anything "out there" that gives a clear root cause for this nor a solution, and in the world of annoyances, this is a very minor one.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution

thing is nothing was ever using internet explorer so why was it that, that was launching.... i was have her make sure nothing "NOTHING" is open before the Laptop shuts down..... and i know for a fact the past three times happened nothing was running in the back ground

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Sadly, your guess is as good as mine.

I have never had anything open up that isn't something I've been using regularly. Generally it's been a web browser, though, but that's probably because I keep two, sometimes three, different browsers active quite frequently.

As I said earlier, I have not seen anything, at least not yet, that gives a definitive description of the root cause and fix for this behavior. It's not that I wouldn't like to find one, but after a point it became easier just to close out the program I didn't want or expect to open at startup when it did. When that was Firefox I often ended up letting it stay, as I would have been firing it up anyway.