Question Windows 10 NVMe and SSD question

Kalik212

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
I'm confused and need help...I have 2 hard drives...one is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2 and the other is a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 inch SATA III...the SATA drive is plugged into the SATA port 2 on my motherboard...did a clean install last night with my NVMe and everything went fine...today I decided to plug my 2.5 inch SATA drive to get Windows 11 installed as a completely separate install (not as a secondary drive)

but the BIOS doesn't list the 860 EVO as a boot drive...when I load into Windows it shows me both drives in Disk Management as well as in 'This PC'...how do I get Windows to recognize the 860 EVO as a separate drive so I can do a clean install of Windows 11 (while still keeping the 970 EVO with Windows 10)...why can't I just boot up with a Windows 11 USB stick and have Windows show me both drives and let me choose where I want to have the new OS installed

I attached a pic of the drives being recognized within Windows on my NVMe install (which is showing as Drive C):

Kalik212

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
You have to do it via bios, or a Function key that will allow you to choose boot options. What are your full system specs?
AMD 5800X
MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Corsair RM850x
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III

in the BIOS it only shows my NVMe as a boot drive option...

Kalik212

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
it's not being listed in my BIOS under Fixed Boot Order...it looks like my NVMe is GPT while my other drive is MBR which might be the issue

dwd999

Honorable
It is unfortunate that the advent of m.2 drives makes drive separation difficult and even worse that the Windows installer really has a problem if you have more than one drive connected. Personally I do it the hard, but safe, way. I use Macrium to back up my Windows 10 m.2; then I use the Gparted partitioning app to remove all of the partitions on both my m.2 and ssd. Then I install Windows11 on the ssd and restore the image for Windows 10 to my m.2. My way means everything is separate and safe, plus I have a backup of my Windows 10 that I update weekly.

ASK THE COMMUNITY