[SOLVED] Windows 10 OEM licensing question

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
My wife's desktop currently has a valid license for Windows 7 Home. When I upgrade that machine I want to go with Windows 10 Pro. There was another post that listed sources for paid OEM versions here:

Win 10 Pro OEM sources *

I'm confused about the difference between "retail" and "OEM."

Her machine is getting old; I expect to replace it in the next year or so. If I buy one of these OEM licenses, will that license strictly be tied to her current machine (MOBO)?

I've read about associating a license with a Microsoft account, but prefer local accounts. I don't like the idea of having to log in anywhere. FWIW, we do not use passwords on any of our four machines.

I'm wondering if it's possible to install to associate an OEM license on her current machine then move it to her subsequent machine.

*BTW, I apologize for trying to hijack that thread.

Solution
There are few reasons to choose, or pay for, Pro over the home version. Especially when you can still upgrade that Windows 7 machine to 10 home for free.

If you don't specifically use Hyper-V, Bitlocker, Remote desktop or Assigned access, then other than the ability to indefinitely pause or pick and choose some Windows updates (Which is a feature that is supposedly coming back to Windows Home versions as well) then there are literally no reasons to choose Pro over Home.

All current Windows 10 licensing practices allow for attaching them to a Microsoft account and transferring them to a new system, or reactivating it after a motherboard change. We haven't seen this fail to work for any version of Windows 7 or 8 in the last several...
Is there a reason you want Pro? unless your needing Hyper-V, BitLocker, Remote Desktop, Assigned Access, or Microsoft update for Business then you could stay on home.

You can still upgrade windows 7 to 10 for free, you cant upgrade from home to pro. If you have to have win 10 Pro you will have to buy a key then.

Reactions: dg27
There are few reasons to choose, or pay for, Pro over the home version. Especially when you can still upgrade that Windows 7 machine to 10 home for free.

If you don't specifically use Hyper-V, Bitlocker, Remote desktop or Assigned access, then other than the ability to indefinitely pause or pick and choose some Windows updates (Which is a feature that is supposedly coming back to Windows Home versions as well) then there are literally no reasons to choose Pro over Home.

All current Windows 10 licensing practices allow for attaching them to a Microsoft account and transferring them to a new system, or reactivating it after a motherboard change. We haven't seen this fail to work for any version of Windows 7 or 8 in the last several years from what we've seen here on the forum or for many of us in our personal dealings.

Reactions: dg27
Solution

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for your reply.

There are few reasons to choose, or pay for, Pro over the home version. Especially when you can still upgrade that Windows 7 machine to 10 home for free. ... If you don't specifically use Hyper-V, Bitlocker, Remote desktop or Assigned access, then other than the ability to indefinitely pause or pick and choose some Windows updates (Which is a feature that is supposedly coming back to Windows Home versions as well) then there are literally no reasons to choose Pro over Home.

All current Windows 10 licensing practices allow for attaching them to a Microsoft account and transferring them to a new system, or reactivating it after a motherboard change.

The two primary features I need are remote desktop (so I can fix something if necesary when away on business), but most importantly, to indefinitely pause and pick/choose updates.

Thanks for clarifying the licensing issue.