Windows 10 OEM version

nazareth06

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hi Everyone. Im planning to upgrade my windows 7 to windows 10. i build my own PCs and i like to reboot my system when i need to. The big question is, if i buy the OEM version than the retail version. will i be able to reboot my pc over and over again with the CD key that they provide?
Thanks in Advance!

Solution
You can re install windows 10 OEM in your PC as many times you want. The OEM version gets tied to the motherboard of your PC. However if you change your motherboard or PC, the OEM windows key won't recognize your new PC or motherboard. There is no such limitation with retail version.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what do you mean by reboot?
do you mean reinstall it on same PC or multiple PC?
if you just want to reinstall on same PC, you could get away with OEM
If you want to reinstall on more than 2 PC then you probably need retail but even it has limitations - not sure where they are

srimasis

Distinguished
You can re install windows 10 OEM in your PC as many times you want. The OEM version gets tied to the motherboard of your PC. However if you change your motherboard or PC, the OEM windows key won't recognize your new PC or motherboard. There is no such limitation with retail version.

Solution

nazareth06

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Its going to be on a same PC.

nazareth06

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Thanks for the answer. I guess ill just get the OEM version than the retail will save me a lot more $$.