Question Windows 10 Office 2007

Feb 11, 2019
I have a copy of Ms Office 2007 on my PC. I had update other microsoft products check marked in my advanced updates. It updated MS Office 2007, something about version check I think.
However now I see EVERY SINGLE time I start MS word, it reconfigures my office installation.
I found a fix on the MS website in knowledge base article. I never trust Microsoft blindly, so I came here to a trusted group of people, to see if what they say is true.Here is a link to the post, and I'm checking to see if this is right?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ery-time/37c0c2f8-7f4f-4e85-a5fb-e4ff7d327982
It's too bad we cant trust them, but Monopoly is what it is, I still like Microsoft, I just am wary...
Have I offended anyone with this post? I am not the only person at my community college who has the same problem, most with varying versions of Microsoft Office ranging in the handful of people in the writing lab I spoke to yesterday Office 2016 and some office 2010 were some of my classmates having the same exact problem.I have Office 2007 I use dictation. I have a snip of the exact files that have caused this problem. I did not upload them. I can if necessary?
I still am asking for advice, possibly is it as though people may be reluctant to offer advise based on me being new to the forum?

Last edited:
That link is not from MS support but a forum just like the ones on Toms. MVP is just a title you can get from Microsoft, it does not mean they work for Microsoft. Not sure what you are talking about trusting them or not, from what I see the possible fix is a registry edit. Backup that key to a file, do the edit, see if it fixes things.

Reactions: Special_k65vw
I have a desktop with both Office 2007 and 2016. If I run the 2016 version, then switch back to 2007, I get configuring. However that only happens when I switch from one version to the other. That's been the way Office has worked for me with several versions going back many years. And I've not made ANY registry changes because I REALLY don't trust them.

Reactions: Special_k65vw
Feb 11, 2019
wpgwpg
Dont you find the configuring crap to be incredibly time consuming??
I see that Office 365 is installed on my laptop, im guessing it was pre configured because I was not in any way going to pay yearly for Office.
I read information that suggested this in fact may be a problem

Feb 11, 2019
That link is not from MS support but a forum just like the ones on Toms. MVP is just a title you can get from Microsoft, it does not mean they work for Microsoft. Not sure what you are talking about trusting them or not, from what I see the possible fix is a registry edit. Backup that key to a file, do the edit, see if it fixes things.
I am not comfortable editing registry. Is there a reason, you have not researched the same problem I have? It seems like you know way more than me, and I came here for input and help for a fix. Not to be like well , you're on your own. Mind you I'm not being disrespectful, or rude, just confused about how much this place changed since I used to use it for tech help in a place I worked.I have the snip if you would like more information about the issue.
Please I need everyone to know, Im not on here like fork you help me. I am in college, and If i need writing assistance most tutors are not willing to wait for me not to be able to bring up word ( the complaint is OH ITS GOING TO TAKE A LOONG TIME) and they are unwilling to wait to take the time to help me with writing issues, THATS IN A WRITING LAB ON CAMPUS. So I'm sure you can understand my dilemma. The place that I THOUGHT was Microsoft, evidently is not and this is the only other place I have gone. Please dont insult me by telling me to go to best buy. I actually am Cisco certified, I have tried everything, it had been two years since I edited registry and we had registry strings that WE KNEW WE COULD TRUST.

I am not comfortable editing registry. Is there a reason, you have not researched the same problem I have? It seems like you know way more than me, and I came here for input and help for a fix. Not to be like well , you're on your own. Mind you I'm not being disrespectful, or rude, just confused about how much this place changed since I used to use it for tech help in a place I worked.I have the snip if you would like more information about the issue.
Please I need everyone to know, Im not on here like fork you help me. I am in college, and If i need writing assistance most tutors are not willing to wait for me not to be able to bring up word ( the complaint is OH ITS GOING TO TAKE A LOONG TIME) and they are unwilling to wait to take the time to help me with writing issues, THATS IN A WRITING LAB ON CAMPUS. So I'm sure you can understand my dilemma. The place that I THOUGHT was Microsoft, evidently is not and this is the only other place I have gone. Please dont insult me by telling me to go to best buy. I actually am Cisco certified, I have tried everything, it had been two years since I edited registry and we had registry strings that WE KNEW WE COULD TRUST.

Well if you won't try the suggest fix not sure what the complaints are about. If a doctor asks you to try some medicine to cure something, and you don't take it, is it the doctor's fault nothing was done?

If you backup that registry key before changing it, you can just revert back to the old setting in half a second if it does not help.

Did you try to uninstall and re-install Office?

Feb 11, 2019
Thank you I finally found a Microsoft site addressing this Item. I found it through an article written Feb 1 2019. In that article was two links one to completely remove all instances of MS office 2007 and the other where to update MS Office 2007. The first ten times I clicked on the link it took me to a MS 404 Page. The 11th time, it took me to the page. After restart, I reinstalled it letting everything go to default. Then I tried the link for updating MS Office 2007 because of End of Life support, it too went to 404 Page from MS, the fifth time it worked, and I downloaded all Service packs I could and it was hit and miss, but I installed Service pack 3, which installed the others also. I got very very lucky. I just wanted to thank you all for checking back, and I followed up in true help desk fashion. Thanks :)