Question Windows 10 on Asus K55VM: Shutdown / Restart / Sleep issue

bluetiger9

Commendable
Dec 16, 2020
Hi,

I installed Windows 10 on my Asus K55VM laptop, but got into a Shutdown / Restart / Sleep related issue.

Namely on Shutdown / Restart / Sleep the laptop does NOT completely powers off, but gets stuck with the screen off but power light still on. To get over this the laptop need to be manually powered off from the power button.

From what I've seen, similar issues are reported on other older laptops:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-a-blank/56c10b0e-3251-4d89-bad0-8e29f211b6ce
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...indows10/203ac225-6b6e-4a12-ba95-5d5bb22e2bf3
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...on-t-go-into-sleep-mode/td-p/5171069/page/116

The issue looks to be related to some of Intel drivers / firmware, maybe BIOS versions. Solutions, usually suggest disabling Intel Management Engine driver, or installing old drivers for Intel Management Engine.

I tried this solutions, but none of these worked. Also tried disabling fast startup, and installing different version of Windows 10 and also a Windows 8.1.

The issue is not a hardware issue, as the Shutdown / Restart / Sleep works fine from Safe Mode and also from Ubuntu.

Did anybody managed do get Windows 10 working on Asus K55VM laptops? Or managed to solve this issue on Asus K55VM-s?

Hardware details:
Intel® Core™ i7 3670QM
Intel® Chief River Chipset HM76
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M
BIOS Version: BIOS 211 (2012/12/05, latest available)

Thanks,
Attila

bluetiger9

Commendable
Dec 16, 2020
The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant does not seems to work. It gets stuck forever in the "Scanning your system..." step.

But, yes I installed the latest Intel drivers with Windows Update and also using Device Doctor.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant does not seems to work. It gets stuck forever in the "Scanning your system..." step.

But, yes I installed the latest Intel drivers with Windows Update and also using Device Doctor.
Tools like Device Doctor are not recommended. They often install improper drivers and even malware.

Only install drivers from official sources.

What browser did you try to run the Intel app from?

bluetiger9

Commendable
Dec 16, 2020
Tools like Device Doctor are not recommended. They often install improper drivers and even malware.

Only install drivers from official sources.
Agree. First I tried Windows Update, but it did not worked. Then I tried Device Doctor, installed some more up to date drivers, but the issue still remained. Since then, I reinstalled Windows a couple of times, so it does not really matters if thatDevice Doctor did any harm or not.

What browser did you try to run the Intel app from?

Tried with Edge and Google Chrome. Windows 10 version is latest.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try clearing your browser history and temp files and try the Intel tool again. Make sure you are using an admin account to install device drivers.

By the way, are you using any ad blocking or filtering add-ons with your browser(s)? If so, disable for the scan.

TRENDING THREADS