Windows 10 on External SSD

vharunsiva

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
So the long story short is i have the dell xps 15 9560 and i have been looking for an m.2 ssd to upgrade the current situation which is an unusable 32gb ssd and a 1tb hdd.

However i realised once i opened the machine my insurance and warranty go down the drain and the main point i wanted to get an ssd is to get faster boot speeds and etc

so i was wondering if i could run windows 10 off of an external ssd such as the samsung t5 which has read/write speeds of 500ish mbps.

For reference, the drive that windows 10 is currently is installed on has 100mbps read/write (btw i know they're not the same).

USAFRet

Titan
No.
While it is theoretically possible, Windows has a really hard time simply being installed to an external drive, and if you do, it will be slooooow.

What, specifically in writing, is telling you that changing the 1TB drive for an SSD will invalidate your warranty?

SSD and HDD are easy replaceable. I see no reason, why there should be any problems with warranty.
IMG_20170227_190933.jpg

http://laptopmedia.com/review/dell-...dware-the-new-xps-15-makes-a-compelling-case/

As USAFRet has inferred installing a PCIe NVMe SSD in a Dell laptop/notebook will NOT invalidate Dell's warranty. We have installed a number of M.2 SSDs in a variety of Dell PCs (I can't recall specifically whether one of them was your model) without incurring any warranty issues. I'm aware your model is equipped in order for you to install the M.2 SSD if that's the route you wish to take.

One other thing...

You can clone the contents of your boot drive (be it a 2.5" SSD or a M.2 SSD) to a USB external drive (SSD or HDD) and there's a possibility the cloned drive will be bootable (Win 10 OS). You should consider cloning the contents of your boot drive for comprehensive backup purposes whether or not the resulting "destination" drive is or is not bootable as a USB external device. But that's not the important criteria. What's important - nay, critical - is that you will have at hand what essentially amounts to a bit-for-bit copy of your boot drive so that in the event of disaster striking you will have the means to return your system to a bootable, functional state. THAT'S THE IMPORTANT THING.

vharunsiva

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

Well I had done the 'dell chat online' to a representative that stated that opening and replacing any part voids the warranty, and even when i stated that i had lacked any ssd in the first place, he still insisted that the warranty becomes void. Can you please post in writing or as a link where dell states that I am able to manually add an ssd myself, thank you!

USAFRet

Titan

Read the specific warranty information that came with your laptop.
Depending on where you are on the planet, things may be different.

But I have never heard of a warranty, Dell or other, becoming invalid for changing the hard drive.

Ask the Dell rep to show you where, in writing, it says you can't do that.
Specifically...Section, paragraph, line.