Windows 10 on old hardware?

RektSkrubz

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
I have an old P7P55D EVO laying around with an i5 750 in it (and a GTX 560Ti) that I want to repurpose and put in my shed so I can monitor RTL SDR Radio Signals.

Are these old parts compatible with Windows 10, or should I install Windows 7? Thanks.

Solution
Still running an I7 870 machine with a GA P55M UD2 motherboard and have been since the Windows 10 free update.

Never had any sort of compatibility issues or anything of that sort. And Windows 10 has all of the drivers built in.

I did add an SSD not long ago in that machine and that really helps speed up boot times etc over a regular HD.

Did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro when I got the SSD, didn't have to install any drivers at all other than the Radeon Drivers and software for the RX 480 and my external USB Wireless Ethernet adapter. Windows 10 has a native driver for the RX 480 built in.

Windows 10 really is amazing on how it works with older hardware, everything is plug and play especially with the later builds.

And it runs...
Until recently a friend of mine and I were both running i5 750s on P55 motherboards with Win10 even since the free upgrade period. I've never had an issue. I've also put Win 10 on around 10 old Core2 Duo era CPUs and mobos... I've yet to have compatibility issues.

My board is a Gigabyte, so YMMV, but it's honestly been completely issue free for me.

Kenton82

Reputable
You may have to roll back the motherboard to a previous update, my old rampage ii extreme is running from two down from the most recent. Had a bit of a mare getting 10 to run, but been perfect ever since. You may need some drivers from windows 8 too, but i forget which ones i used for mine now.

Most pc's containing a core 2 duo and up will work. The only problem are when there are no drivers availble for the motherboard (doesn't need to be win 10 drivers older drivers usually work fine). The only way to know is try.

Still running an I7 870 machine with a GA P55M UD2 motherboard and have been since the Windows 10 free update.

Never had any sort of compatibility issues or anything of that sort. And Windows 10 has all of the drivers built in.

I did add an SSD not long ago in that machine and that really helps speed up boot times etc over a regular HD.

Did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro when I got the SSD, didn't have to install any drivers at all other than the Radeon Drivers and software for the RX 480 and my external USB Wireless Ethernet adapter. Windows 10 has a native driver for the RX 480 built in.

Windows 10 really is amazing on how it works with older hardware, everything is plug and play especially with the later builds.

And it runs extremely well.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS