Windows 10 on SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieJ15420

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Hello everyone.
Sorry for the nooby question however when windows 10 comes out, if you have an SSD installed with nothing on it will you be able to install windows 10 onto it. If so how? I didn't know if when you installed it you would be able to select what drive you would like it on or whether it would install on the drive that your current OS is on by default. I am currently looking for an SSD however if this is not an option then I may not get one. May somebody also recommend a size for an SSD which will have an OS and programs on it (files and other data will be on main hdd)
Thank you in advance!

Solution
if you buy the full version retail box, yes you can install it like any other os.
If you're referring to the free upgrade thats to be released to valid owners of win7/8 then you have to have your OS already installed. Its an Upgrade version, not a full version.

popatim

Titan
if you buy the full version retail box, yes you can install it like any other os.
If you're referring to the free upgrade thats to be released to valid owners of win7/8 then you have to have your OS already installed. Its an Upgrade version, not a full version.

Solution
I have Windows 10 Preview (same size as Win 10 Pro) running on a laptop that has a 120 GB SSD. However, on a laptop for Win 10 and a few programs I suggest a 240 GB SSD since a small portion of the SSD is allocated as a reserve. About 70% of the SSD is available for the OS programs, and data. (Refer Samsung's manual). See Over provisioning.

On my Windows 7 computer with the OS, programs, and games on the SSD, I have a 500 GB SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.