[SOLVED] Windows 10 One Time Password system

JooBoo

Prominent
Sep 5, 2019
So I set up a computer for someone and I want a way so then if they want to install something I can give them a one time password to install it, I would preferably want the software to be made by Microsoft if possible.

Solution
The problem with the process to remote in, is I can only do it if I’m connected to the network, and yes I know I could setup port forwarding but that would expose it to the internet and something like a brute force attack could get in to the PC.

Valid concerns. You do have MS's "remote desktop connection" that's baked in.... so you wouldn't have to configure port forwarding etc.

Not sure what the specific setup here is, but if you have concerns about potential brute force attacks..... you should probably have concerns about what the end-user is installing? Even if you give them a one-time password, if you're not vetting what it is they're installing.... that's a more likely scenario to get compromised than a brute force...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
So I set up a computer for someone and I want a way so then if they want to install something I can give them a one time password to install it, I would preferably want the software to be made by Microsoft if possible.

On a local system, I'm not aware of anything MS makes to do this.... I can't think of any software, MS or otherwise off the top of my head that would achieve what you want.

If you're prepared to generate/give them a one-time password at the time they want to install something... would it not make just as much sense (and be easier) to remote in, log in as an admin and approve the install?

JooBoo

Prominent
Sep 5, 2019
On a local system, I'm not aware of anything MS makes to do this.... I can't think of any software, MS or otherwise off the top of my head that would achieve what you want.

If you're prepared to generate/give them a one-time password at the time they want to install something... would it not make just as much sense (and be easier) to remote in, log in as an admin and approve the install?
The problem with the process to remote in, is I can only do it if I’m connected to the network, and yes I know I could setup port forwarding but that would expose it to the internet and something like a brute force attack could get in to the PC.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Valid concerns. You do have MS's "remote desktop connection" that's baked in.... so you wouldn't have to configure port forwarding etc.

Not sure what the specific setup here is, but if you have concerns about potential brute force attacks..... you should probably have concerns about what the end-user is installing? Even if you give them a one-time password, if you're not vetting what it is they're installing.... that's a more likely scenario to get compromised than a brute force attack (unless it's a targeted business etc).

Solution