[SOLVED] Windows 10 Only Boots from Blank/Unnamed Entry After Jan. 14 Update

Jan 14, 2019
Hey everyone! This is...extremely confusing, and I hope someone out there has insights.

I started the automatic update for Windows 10, version 1809. During the restart at 30% completion, my PC was unable to boot. I got the following message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

I rebooted into BIOS and selected Windows Boot Manager and tried all of the options I could find there without reinstalling Windows, including bootrec /FixMbr (which responded with "unable to find file," or something to that effect).

I'll detail the troubleshooting steps I went through below, but here's the current state of things: Windows 10 will not boot unless I manually select the second entry in the following image:

DBEUW2v.jpg

The following album has the current state of my BIOS configuration, as well as some additional troubleshooting:

https://imgur.com/a/w0Vp5V1

The only non-boot change I made to my BIOS settings after my PC failed to boot was changing "Security Option" to "Setup." I did not test my current solution before and after that change, so I have no idea if it factored in at all.

Any insights would be most welcome! Below are the specs that seem most potentially relevant; if there's any other information that would help, let me know!

CPU: Intel core i7-7700K
SSD: SanDisk, 1TB, driver version 10.0.17763.1
Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-A, BIOS version F20

Solution
The blank is obviously the ssd. What happens when you put the ssd in priority # 1 ? Or put the windows 10 usb there ?

I would start by returning UEFI to default values, either use the UEFI switch to that effect or unplug the machine and remove the battery for a few minutes. I would next refresh the bios. If no step works, I would counsel storing personal data on the hdd, disconnecting the hdd and reinstalling windows.( The hdd is also a reinstall candidate if necessary.)

BTW, This situation is the poster boy for having a back up system disk or other suitable back up plan. Fortunately you can access the ssd .Some are not left with any disk access after a Win10 update. Let this be a lesson to all of us .
The blank is obviously the ssd. What happens when you put the ssd in priority # 1 ? Or put the windows 10 usb there ?

I would start by returning UEFI to default values, either use the UEFI switch to that effect or unplug the machine and remove the battery for a few minutes. I would next refresh the bios. If no step works, I would counsel storing personal data on the hdd, disconnecting the hdd and reinstalling windows.( The hdd is also a reinstall candidate if necessary.)

BTW, This situation is the poster boy for having a back up system disk or other suitable back up plan. Fortunately you can access the ssd .Some are not left with any disk access after a Win10 update. Let this be a lesson to all of us .

Solution