Windows 10 only uses 3.9 GBs instead of full 8GBs

BPCD

Honorable
Aug 18, 2014
Hello, when I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium x64 to Windows 10 Home the first time, Windows 10 was only using 7.95 GBs and now reduce to 3.95 GBs. I tried to take the CPU out and putting back in and switching RAMs and putting them in different places, but this issue still occurs. I also tried doing SFC /SCANNOW and that doesn't seem to fix this issue too.

It's not my RAM, CPU, GPU, or I have x86 instead of x64. All of my parts were working when I had Windows 7 installed on my computer and now Windows 10 is screwing up the RAM usage by reducing the amount to 3.9GBs. Is it just me that is getting this issue? If it's just me, how can I fix this issue?

BPCD

Honorable
Aug 18, 2014
Screenshot:
x3cp5j.png

Specs (From my Steam profile description):
MSI 970a SLI Krait Edition
AMD FX-6300 running at 3.5 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper T2
4x2 = 8GBs Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 (Upgrading to 16GBs TBA)
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 3GB
Creative Sound Blaster Z
1TB Western Digital HDD Blue
Windows 10 Home x64
TP-Link TL-WN851ND Wireless Card - Not bad for gaming to me.
BUILD: pcpartpicker.com/b/MnZ8TW

Colif

Win 11 Master
interesting contradiction, win 10 can see 8gb but cpu-z only sees 1 stick. I wonder how much shows as hardware reserved on the memory tab of task manager/performance.

You might want to run free version of memtest on the sticks, 1 at a time. any errors means stick needs to be replaced

win 10 a little more picky on ram and uses it more than Win 7 ever did. So it may find/cause faults that Win 7 didn't:
1. instead of putting program data on page file as soon as you close anything, win 10 compresses it into ram incase you decide to open it again later, far faster to load out of ram. If you need the space later, it will then put it on the page file.
2. When you shut a PC down at night, win 10 uses hybred hibernate instead. It puts half the data open into a file on hdd and other half is kept in ram so when you start PC next time. its faster than a fresh start as half the data already in ram.

BPCD

Honorable
Aug 18, 2014
I had the latest BIOS version and I'm reflashing the BIOS now to see if the problem has been fixed. I also couldn't figure out how to remap RAM with my 970a Krait Edition motherboard. I'm never going with Microsoft anymore. I wish that I want to get a Mac or install Linux on my computer.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Memory remap shouldn't apply because theres no iGPU. Did you try the link I gave you yet? many of those things could cause this.