Windows 10 only using half of installed RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAustinG

Reputable
May 26, 2014
I cannot seem to find out what the problem is here and it's driving me crazy! I'm constantly running into out of Memory errors when I shouldn't not be.

You can see from this screenshot that I have Windows 10 - 64bit installed, along with 8GB of RAM.
http://puu.sh/mmakW/e322628d63.png

However, my computer is crazy slow and I'm not sure why. When I open Task Manager and go to the "Processes" tab and sort by which process is using the most memory. It will say that Microsoft Visual Studio is using 1,500mb of ram and when I switch it to percentages it says it's using up 50% of the ram. If this were true, then that means that Windows is only using 3GB out of the 8GB available??

Does anyone have a solution or reason for this? I can hardly do anything on this PC now because it's constantly using 80-95% of the ram.

Solution
Yeah i had the same damn issue with 16GB Ram. It allways used around 7-8GB in Idle and thats way too much. You can Turn off The Auto Ram Virtualisation.

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

Just try to Uncheck the Automatical RAM <mod edit> and...

nSomnia444

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Yeah i had the same damn issue with 16GB Ram. It allways used around 7-8GB in Idle and thats way too much. You can Turn off The Auto Ram Virtualisation.

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

Just try to Uncheck the Automatical RAM <mod edit> and restart ur pc and look how ur ram usage is after taking the auto thing out. After Restarting your Computer you need to check if the Ram usage is lower under idle. If it worked for you, you can put back the Automatical Ram usage and look after that again if your ram usage is still the same as before. For me it worked well to just uncheck and after restart to bring it back to automatical mode. Now my Ram usage is in idle around 12-16% and thats normale usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

TheAustinG

Reputable
May 26, 2014

Thanks for the reply! The computer in question is the one I use at work. So when I head back in in the morning I'll give it a try and post back here the results.

TheAustinG

Reputable
May 26, 2014

That ended up being the issue! Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.