Question Windows 10 - Partial freezes - 100% disk usage

Feb 17, 2019
Hello everyone who will read this thread.

I will start by saying that i've already read a lot of topics about this problem (i've been looking for a solution for 3 days), some gave some good answers others didn't.
Here are some of the best answers i could find :
But unfortunately my problem still isn't solved at all so here it is.

I've mounted my own PC about 1 and a half year ago and it looks like this :
Graphics card : Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ 8 Go
GPU : AMD Processor Ryzen 5 1600
RAM : 2 * 8 Go (16Go) 3000Mhz
SSD : 240Go, 540Mo/s
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1To
Motherboard : MSI X370 GAMING PRO

My issue :
I actually always have had this issue but it has been getting worse the past week, so my PC partially freezes randomly, what I mean with partially is that I can still move my mouse during the freezes but nothing reacts, the clicks have no effects and same goes for my keyboard input until it unfreezes, then everything stacks on and all actions done during the freeze take effect so I guess the system still catches all the signals. It happens kinda at any moment on any possible software too, it can happen on my desktop as well as on any explorer or games or what so ever. The only thing I noticed different was on games where when it freezes once unfrozen it disconnects me from the game.
I've also noticed (opened my task manager on the second screen) that when a freeze occurs my SSD goes to 100% usage until it unfreezes.

I've already tried quite some possible solutions (those didn't work otherwhise I wouldn't be here) :
  • Reinstalling a clean windows version (I actually installed an old ISO version of windows 10 but updated it via microsoft's site and windows update)
  • Update my BIOS
  • Updating every possible driver via windows update and DriversCloud
What I think is the issue here but I don't know how to fix it :
I read somewhere that SATA controllers didn't update correctly so I verified in my device manager under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and the one shown for me is "AHCI SATA standard controller" but if i'm correct it should be "AMD SATA controller". I've tried updating it via the automatic AMD update software, didn't work, I tried updating manually also didn't work or at least it keeps saying that I already have the latest version so maybe I do but then the issue wouldn't be this at all, i'm just offering a possible way to resolve this problem for people actually knowing something about this issue. If this isn't the issue then the "Motherboard" category is probably incorrect too but since I don't really know where else the issue can come from is just put it in here.

So yeah, here you go I exposed most of what I know and what I learned about my issue last couple days and I hope you can help me out.

Thank you in advance for reading this thread and for your time and help with this issue!

JohanW

Edit 1 : I'm completely new to this forum so don't feel free to ask me any necessary questions or help me making this thread a bit more easier to understand.

Last edited: