Windows 10 Partition

cackland

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hi Guys,

Reinstalling my Windows 10 system (Fresh Install).

Wondering if any of you recommend partitioning my SSD. I've heard good responses and negative responses so thought I would ask anyone of you from your experience. If so, wondering what would be the benefits.

Note: I have multiple SSD's. Music Composer so utilise several SSD's for sample library streaming. My main SSD (500GB) is for OS and applications.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Corey

Solution

How is there no benefit? What are the reasons not to? There aren't any. When you're in Windows installer you can create 1 , 2, 5, or whatever number of partitions you want, windows will then fill in the partitions it needs to work properly.

As for doing it, the best reason to is if you have one drive, or a very large drive that if you need to re-install windows on you don't need to reformat the whole drive, you can keep a...

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
It depends how big and how many programs you want installed on the windows drive.

My OS drive is a 60GB partition which happily holds my OS and all my installed programs, everything else goes on other SSDs/partitions.

Edit: There's no downsides to creating your own partitions on an SSD.

No, install Windows on a partitionless hdd so it can create MS system partitions in the right format. If you want to then cut your main boot partition up, shrink it afterwards in Disk Management. There is no benefit at all to creating your own partitions before OS install, but plenty of reasons not to.

cackland

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

Plenty of reasons not to.... being?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

How is there no benefit? What are the reasons not to? There aren't any. When you're in Windows installer you can create 1 , 2, 5, or whatever number of partitions you want, windows will then fill in the partitions it needs to work properly.

As for doing it, the best reason to is if you have one drive, or a very large drive that if you need to re-install windows on you don't need to reformat the whole drive, you can keep a section that holds your files/programs/etc. I have such a setup in my server, 2 4TB drives in RAID 1, 250gb partition holds the OS, the rest is one big storage space partition.

Theres no performance benefits to it, its really just for organizational purposes. Also its easy to go overboard. but making 2-3 partitions to isolate data is more than reasonable.

Solution

cackland

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

Thanking you.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No problem,

Like I said a few partitions can be good like to separate your OS and data, and stuff like that just don't go overboard. I've seen guys with a large number of partitions for every little thing. Thats what folders are for. But 2 - 4 paritions to isolate data is more than reasonable.

Because unless you know what you are doing you can format them wrongly, and possibly create conflicts. The cleanerst way to install Windows 10 is on to an unallocated disk, to concur with whichever settings you have in your BIOS> Windows will still install in the wrong format, but if you have MBR partitions then system recovery may not work etc. With the M S partitions you don't need to and shouldn't install more than one OS on a single drive, but if you want to create partitions afterwards you can shrink your main partition and create as many as you like, provided it is in UEFI AHCI mode. I agree it doesnt make a difference but the mere fact someone needs to ask that question means their familiarity with partitioning drives is limited, and there is plenty of scope to go wrong.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

So the answer is to tell them the proper way to do it rather than make up reasons why it can go wrong and is bad.

Also booting it properly via UEFI and creating a GPT partition has nothing to do with how many partitions you create. If booted properly in secure boot the partitions will all be GPT. He wasn't asking about creating a multiple boot scenario.

You can't "format them wrongly" and even if you did the main boot partition will still be formatted correctly, so you reformat them, whats the big deal? In fact when installing Windows you will only format the partition you are actually installing Windows on. Windows creates the restore partitions and whatever else it needs. It literally will not let you advance without properly creating what it needs in the setup it needs it in.

So again, how about answering peoples questions instead of making up scenarios of how they can screw it up.