• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Windows 10 PC can't connect to WiFi router unless iPad connects first!

JellyBeenz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I have a PC with Windows 10. If I try to connect to my TP-Link router via WiFi, it fails: "Checking network requirements" for a long period, followed by "Unable to connect to this network".

But if I first connect to it from my iPad, the PC connects fine.

If I then disconnect both devices from the router, and wait a while (haven't yet ascertained the threshold, but say an hour), once again I can no longer connect from the PC.

It has to be the iPad. It's no good if I'm connected to the router from (e.g.) my Android phone. The phone can connect to the router and use the internet just fine, but it doesn't have the same magical effect of the iPad in enabling my PC to connect!!

Any ideas why this might be a 'thing'?
Thanks!

---------------
System info:
PC: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; USB WiFi dongle (Realtek 8812BU)
ROUTER: TP-Link M7310 (no ethernet, WiFi only)
Wireless band: 2.4GHz. 11bgn mixed mode. WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK security. Firmware 1.0.4 Build 160301 Rel.1036n

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS