[SOLVED] Windows 10 PC falls off network when adding folder to share

Lord-Xanthor

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
I started from fresh install of build 1809 V2. 1903 was just a nightmare with data loss. Will take me a week to get everything installed, but in mean time have my system up and running so my kids can watch their shows. Anyway, Im running into the strangest of issues, and no clue why it's happening. Googled it, but what's showing up is not related.
My server allows through file sharing, all computers behind the router to watch shows and movies or download utilities for school work. All systems access my server with no issues, that is until one specific folder containing 8 mkv files are added. Moment I add the folder, my server becomes non delectable and can no longer be accessed. If I remove the folder from share, the system reappears and again is usable.
I have tried copying to a new folder, renaming each of the 8 1.5gb files to short names in case it was an illegal character in name which has happened once before, but no matter what I change, moment the folder is added, pc vanishes from network. The 8 files are clean, no infections. I was shocked my past issues was caused by this one folder. What has me worried now is that if I don't find a fix for this unimportant set of files, that when something important does come along, I'll be stuck.

Solution
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

There may be some error codes, warnings, or even informational entries that correspond to the folder's appearing and disappearing.

Or the server itself becoming undetectable.

Lord-Xanthor

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

There may be some error codes, warnings, or even informational entries that correspond to the folder's appearing and disappearing.

Or the server itself becoming undetectable.
Thanks for the above info. Didn't even think to check for errors. Sadly there were none. I did discover though what it may be. It wasn't that it was those 8 files, but more of they seem to bring the shared amount of files over some unseen limit. Sort of reminds me of Windows 95 and connection limit. When I tried to add any folder, got same problem. I then noticed I had family photos which is 30 years worth on share list which I didn't last time. Removed it which took 25 minutes and was able to add the other folders back to the share. Interesting how no error is given yet share breaks.

Ralston18

Titan
Remember there is still 1909 and the current 2004 versions ahead for you...

Fairly certain that you are backing up your photographs but do verify that those backups are recoverable and readable.

Who knows what other issues may arise without any errors or other indications of a problem.

Thanks for the update - the information could be helpful to someone else.