Question Windows 10 PC Freezing Randomly on Desktop with Fairly Good PC. Tried Everything

Deme_77

Honorable
Jun 30, 2017
I have been having this problem for months, i dont know when it started exactly but one day, off nothing, my computer started freezing only on the desktop, while watching videos on youtube or twitch, first the app that was active freezes, the sound of the video stops and then i can move the mouse but all the pc is freezed.
It only happens when im on the desktop doing something, watching a stream, on some website or with light work on blender, photoshop or google docs. And it never happens when im gaming for example or doing heavy work so i think it has something to do with windows, the explorer or something like that.
Some weeks i dont have freezes at all and some other weeks i have 4 freezes per day.
I have all the latest updates, i disabled all windows 10 apps on the background, i dont have any antiviruses, i checked the ram with windows 10 diagnosis tool and memtest without any error, even i added 16gb of ram more in between, changed the case the refrigeration and added some ssds.
No BSOD, no problems in games.. only those random freezes on the desktop, with normal web apps or even doing nothing watching a video.
I even reinstalled windows 10 at least 3 times since i started having this problem.
I have a friend with a totally different pc that has exactly the same problem, some days no freezes, other days 4 a day or even 6 freezes an hour.
I know that windows 10 have a lot of problems and in the recent months i know that some of those problems are related to freezez but this <Mod Edit> is amazing.
I dont know what to do, when it was 1 or 2 a day it was okey, but today i had like 7.
Im even contemplating on installing the beta of Windows 11.
My PC Specs:
-Ryzen 9 3900x (No OC) -32GB of 4 channel 3000mhz -KFA2 RTX 2080ti -650w Seasonic plus bronze -Samsung Evo 960 Pro 250Gb NVME
Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been having this problem for months, i dont know when it started exactly but one day, off nothing, my computer started freezing only on the desktop, while watching videos on youtube or twitch, first the app that was active freezes, the sound of the video stops and then i can move the mouse but all the pc is freezed.
It only happens when im on the desktop doing something, watching a stream, on some website or with light work on blender, photoshop or google docs. And it never happens when im gaming for example or doing heavy work so i think it has something to do with windows, the explorer or something like that.
Some weeks i dont have freezes at all and some other weeks i have 4 freezes per day.
I have all the latest updates, i disabled all windows 10 apps on the background, i dont have any antiviruses, i checked the ram with windows 10 diagnosis tool and memtest without any error, even i added 16gb of ram more in between, changed the case the refrigeration and added some ssds.
No BSOD, no problems in games.. only those random freezes on the desktop, with normal web apps or even doing nothing watching a video.
I even reinstalled windows 10 at least 3 times since i started having this problem.
I have a friend with a totally different pc that has exactly the same problem, some days no freezes, other days 4 a day or even 6 freezes an hour.
I know that windows 10 have a lot of problems and in the recent months i know that some of those problems are related to freezez but this <Mod Edit> is amazing.
I dont know what to do, when it was 1 or 2 a day it was okey, but today i had like 7.
Im even contemplating on installing the beta of Windows 11.
My PC Specs:
-Ryzen 9 3900x (No OC) -32GB of 4 channel 3000mhz -KFA2 RTX 2080ti -650w Seasonic plus bronze -Samsung Evo 960 Pro 250Gb NVME
Any ideas?
If this only happens on web activity have you tried a different browser?

Aug 4, 2021
Exactly the same problem here (except my PC is a laptop) and no solution so far. It used to happen up to 3 times almost every day, then I did a power reset and now it happens roughly 1x/week, but I don't really know if that power reset actually changed the frequency, or if it's just random so it might come back.

There really is no noticeable pattern - almost every time it happens, there is a Youtube video running (but I have a video running on the background with some music most of the time anyway), a few times it happened when the PC was completely idle. I did some tests - running 6 videos at once - no problem, but some time later it happened randomly while playing a single video. Tried different power modes, different browsers - the black screen happened anyway. It really must be something with the Windows itself.

TRENDING THREADS