Question Windows 10 PC freezing randomly since bought in 2016

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Hi All,

I have an issue that is noticed 99% of the time when playing games (Fortnite, CSGO, LoL etc). My PC (Windows 10) will randomly freeze and i will have to force restart. I have run hardware tests and software tests but don't seem to be able to put a finger on it. I have tried 5+ forum sites and no one can help me.

My PC specs are:

Hardware:
CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
MOBO - ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
RAM - G Skill RipJaws V 16GB DDR4
GPU - MSI 980Ti Sea Hawk Edition
PSU - Seasonic 850W 80PlusBronze ATX

Cooling:
CPU - Corsair H80i GT
GPU - Corsair HG10 N980

Peripherals:
Monitor - AOC 24" G Sync 144hz 1ms
Mouse - Logitech G402
Mouse Pad - Logitech G240
Keyboard - Logitech G910
Headset - Hyper X Revolver S

Event viewer screnshots:
View: https://imgur.com/a/RCiZExF

View: https://imgur.com/a/Q6Gf8jv

You can see here at 4:20 i was forced to force shutdown with only 1 error i can see during the time of the issue which doesn't really mean much

Temps:
(note: this is in degrees Celsius not Fahrenheit)
View: https://imgur.com/a/X5TyWSd

View: https://imgur.com/a/6cj4DXA

All drivers up to date, RAM tests done, thermal paste changed, dust cleaned out of entire case, Windows 10 resinstalled on new SSD etc.
RAM test: View: https://imgur.com/a/dzo1uvg

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
That's not what I as for. You need a software that can read smart-values from hdd - e.g.

Or you can just run almost any Ubuntu/Debian based Linux Live-CD as they have disk tool included so you don't need to install additional software.

Reactions: Liborio and AllanGH
What speed of RAM is installed vs. the selected RAM profile?

(Perhaps test with lower RAM speeds, 2133, 2666 vs. 3000/3200 MHz XMP profile, etc)

It might even be better to find a friend to swap RAM with completely just to rule it out...

Does your 980Ti require a pair of GPU power inputs? (Straight from the PSU, not adapted from a molex, nor using any $2 'y'-splitters from a single 6 or 8 pin connector)

Have you tried a full fresh reinstall, perhaps even using a different SSD ? (on a different SATA port with different SATA data cable?)

Won't be too terribly long and your mainboard will be the likely remaining culprit....

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
That's not what I as for. You need a software that can read smart-values from hdd - e.g.

Or you can just run almost any Ubuntu/Debian based Linux Live-CD as they have disk tool included so you don't need to install additional software.

Thank you. I have downloaded the recommended and found the below caution:
View: https://imgur.com/a/Lv2nlHK

View: https://imgur.com/a/YKY8j0Q

Could this be it? Please note this seems to be my extra hard drive with documents on it. This is not my OS SSD and doesnt not have any system files. Simply extra storage (HDD) for games & work documents.

EDIT: A thought just came to me...perhaps this is it as it is storing all my games and it only happens when im playing games......

Please advise and thank you.

Last edited:

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
What speed of RAM is installed vs. the selected RAM profile?

(Perhaps test with lower RAM speeds, 2133, 2666 vs. 3000/3200 MHz XMP profile, etc)

It might even be better to find a friend to swap RAM with completely just to rule it out...

Does your 980Ti require a pair of GPU power inputs? (Straight from the PSU, not adapted from a molex, nor using any $2 'y'-splitters from a single 6 or 8 pin connector)

Have you tried a full fresh reinstall, perhaps even using a different SSD ? (on a different SATA port with different SATA data cable?)

Won't be too terribly long and your mainboard will be the likely remaining culprit....

Hi,

Thank you for your help.
  • My RAM is running at 2133 as it should be.
  • My GPU is connect straight from the PSU with 2 PCI-E cables and no dodgy connectors or splitters.
  • No i have not done a reinstall or a different SSD as i was hoping to avoid that.

Perhaps with the above screenshots of the error i am receiving from my HDD (which as stated, is not my SSD with OS on it and doesnt have any system files. Simply extra storage (HDD) for games & work documents).

With all that being said, any further ideas? Perhaps that is it? Only reason is because it only happens when i play games and that is the only drive with games on it which is why i think it may be linked. With that being said, i am no expert and cannot confirm if thats the case from a technical perspective.

Any help is appreciated.

The disk is starting to die. But it may work (as, the computer does run) for a good while.

Anyway, the drive must be considered as not a safe location for any important files.

This also explain the windows freezing habit, because that is the way Windows does respond when a disk goes stuck (if disk doesn't respond, then windows does neither).

Reactions: Liborio

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
The disk is starting to die. But it may work (as, the computer does run) for a good while.

Anyway, the drive must be considered as not a safe location for any important files.

This also explain the windows freezing habit, because that is the way Windows does respond when a disk goes stuck (if disk doesn't respond, then windows does neither).
Very interesting considering it was happening since i bought it. Makes me wonder how it hasnt died in the 4 years of having the issue.

Thank you very much for your help. I have ordered a Samsung EVO 860 1TB to replace my current 120GB SSD and faulty 1TB HDD. Going to start fresh and run the single SSD.

I have confidence now that this will resolve the issue.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016

Unfortunately, this has ocurred again :( Got the new SSD, fresh install, randomly just froze again.....

Any ideas?

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
No it doesn't.

Did you install Windows from scratch?

Have you updated the bios recently ?
Do you (or anyone other viewers) have absolutely any idea of what my next steps would be?

After everything so far, this tells me i have a hardware issue with either:
  1. Motherboard
  2. PSU
  3. CPU

Any ideas on how i can narrow down my issue further? I believe it is hardware as a fresh install was done and issue is still persisting. Not RAM as it has been thoroughly tested, not SSD/HDD as a new one was put in.

Any further help by anyone is much appreciated.

Here is one. I googled your MB and it obviously have an integrated GPU too. If it turns out the GPU is the cause (don't know that yet) - then switching to the MB's internal gpu for a while should indicate if your GPU is bad or not.
Just remember to uninstall any graphics drivers before removing the gpu.

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Here is one. I googled your MB and it obviously have an integrated GPU too. If it turns out the GPU is the cause (don't know that yet) - then switching to the MB's internal gpu for a while should indicate if your GPU is bad or not.
Just remember to uninstall any graphics drivers before removing the gpu.
Thats a really good idea. I will try that. Out of curiosity, why is it important to remove drivers of hardware im not using? Does it affect anything if they are just installed and not being used?

Also, is there a way to test my MOBO, CPU & PSU?
With my PSU, I am only able to find tests to see if it turns on (getting a paperclip and connecting power to ground). Not any tests further than that i.e if it turns on but fails whilst running (such as whats happening to me), if thats even a possibility?

Thank you again for your help.

Last edited:
an actual intermittent /failing CPU is the last place I'd look after ruling out RAM, PSU, and MB, etc... (bad CPUs are quite rare)

YOu mentioned you did a fresh install to a new SSD...was the old HDD still connected to the mainboard? Often the OS can freeze trying to read/index bad data from a failing hard drive...

Get it completely disconnected from mainboard.

YOu can rule out the GPU causing brownouts by running from integrated video, as others have mentioned....

Drop to a single stick of RAM, testing each alternately....

Thing about uninstallin graphic drivers prior to using another GPU is that (at last in the past) in my experience having graphic drivers from a different GPU (espechially from different manufactor) may cause Windows to not working.
Disclaimer : I got to be a Linux user after MS dropped XP, so I may be wrong when it comes to drivers in W10. So I cannot say for sure if MS have improved how Windows are dealing with drivers not matching actually installed HW.
Anyway - the drivers can always be installed afterwars again.

For your question about PSU - read here:
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/convert-atx-psu-to-bench-supply.html

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
an actual intermittent /failing CPU is the last place I'd look after ruling out RAM, PSU, and MB, etc... (bad CPUs are quite rare)

YOu mentioned you did a fresh install to a new SSD...was the old HDD still connected to the mainboard? Often the OS can freeze trying to read/index bad data from a failing hard drive...

Get it completely disconnected from mainboard.

YOu can rule out the GPU causing brownouts by running from integrated video, as others have mentioned....

Drop to a single stick of RAM, testing each alternately....
Okay i will put the CPU aside for now until i rule out the others.

I did a fresh install and am only using the 1 SSD that is fresh. Nothing else connected.

Definitely not RAM. I ran Memtest86 multiple times on both sticks and individually.

Which leads me back to how do i test my MOBO & PSU?

Thank you.

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Thing about uninstallin graphic drivers prior to using another GPU is that (at last in the past) in my experience having graphic drivers from a different GPU (espechially from different manufactor) may cause Windows to not working.
Disclaimer : I got to be a Linux user after MS dropped XP, so I may be wrong when it comes to drivers in W10. So I cannot say for sure if MS have improved how Windows are dealing with drivers not matching actually installed HW.
Anyway - the drivers can always be installed afterwars again.

For your question about PSU - read here:
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/convert-atx-psu-to-bench-supply.html
Much appreciated. Thank you.

That link is a project on how to use a PSU as a bench power? I'm after a test to see if this is being caused by my PSU. If my symptoms are even possible to happen from a PSU? If a PSU runs and turns on, is there possibility of it having any other issue to cause this?

Do you (or anyone) have any idea how i can test my MOBO?

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
Mobo and PSU is not possible to test directly, just like that.

There is no wonderfull super app that can do that, just as a modern car software cannot change the oil of itself.
Understood. Would you agree in saying after all thats been done, it is definitely due to one of them components that are faulty?

The only way to rule out a PSU is to use/borrow a known good one....(a PSU powering on and giving good voltages via a paperclip method only tells us it is not completely dead, and is not a any test of the PSU under load, obviously)

Once you've ruled out RAM, CPU overheating/bent pins, faulty storage, software, and tried a known good PSU, one is usually left with the mainboard :(

Last edited:

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
The only way to rule out a PSU is to use/borrow a known good one....(a PSU powering on and giving good voltages via a paperclip method only tells us it is not completely dead, and is not a any test of the PSU under load, obviously)

Once you've ruled out RAM, CPU overheating/bent pins, faulty storage, software, and tried a known good PSU, one is usually left with the mainboard :(
My exact thought and nightmare :/ especially because i have quite old hardware now, seems like ill have to replace everything as my MOBO is discontinued .......

I will buy a new PSU and see if the issue continues, if so, looks like ill be due for a new build :/

To future proof myself, will any PSU work with any build? PSU's dont have any specifics like other parts right? They should all be cross compatible with all hardware?