Question Windows 10 PC has started freezing since blue screen error occurred ?

Jul 17, 2022
After having my PC for about 2 years, I got a blue screen error which I resolved by resetting my PC. I then started getting problems with it freezing not too long after that, and had this problem for several months now. I've noticed a pattern:
  1. When I boot up first time of the day, it almost always freezes within the first 10-15 minutes.-> sometimes everything just lags super hard for about 10 sec, but then returns to normal-> often its a complete freeze, but sometimes the curser can still move while being very choppy (as if 10 fps on the monitor), the cursor is spinning (as in loading) but nothing reacts
  2. I shut down the PC and boot up again. Problem is then always fixed, and I can use it with no problems. The freezing doesn't come back until next day.
It happens no matter what I do on the PC. Idle, playing games, browsing internet...I've looked at temperatures on CPU/GPU, and they look all fine.

Here's some specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 3.70GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
RAM: 16,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1330MHz (16-18-18-39)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B360M-K (LGA1151)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z (1920x1080@144Hz)
Storage: 476GB INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8 (Unknown (SSD))

Dump files (there were 5 of them from March to May): https://files.catbox.moe/91bde8.zip

I ran the WhoCrashed tool, which reported these (not sure if they're any useful):

This one 5 times:
Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\032622-11406-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x10E(0x33, 0xFFFFAE01F7458880, 0x0, 0x0)
Bugcheck name:VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
Driver or module in which error occurred: watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x3AD0)
File path:C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\watchdog.sys
Description: Watchdog Driver
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Bug check description:This indicates that the video memory manager has encountered a condition that it is unable to recover from.
Analysis:This is a video related crash.

This one 1 time:
Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP (Kernel memory dump)
Bugcheck code: 0x10E(0x33, 0xFFFF94014BAD4AD0, 0x0, 0x0)
Bugcheck name:VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL
Driver or module in which error occurred: dxgmms2.sys (dxgmms2+0x9D30D)
File path:C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys
Description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Bug check description:This indicates that the video memory manager has encountered a condition that it is unable to recover from.
Analysis:This is a video related crash. A DirectX driver was identified on the stack. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, it is suggested that you look for an updated driver for your graphics hardware. It's also possible that your graphics hardware was non-functional or overheated.

Can anyone help me? It would be very much appreciated!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I suspect your GPU could be the problem
Most of time you see DirectX crash its GPU drivers, the errors also say its Video related...

It could be the drivers but that isn't a BSOD I see a lot with Nvidia cards
Try running DDU in safe mode and reinstall Nvidia drivers once back in normal mode

which I5 is it? just curious if it has an integrated gpu, as you could run off it until you get a new GPU.

I be surprised if its just the drivers, is what I am saying.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022
I suspect your GPU could be the problem
Most of time you see DirectX crash its GPU drivers, the errors also say its Video related...

It could be the drivers but that isn't a BSOD I see a lot with Nvidia cards
Try running DDU in safe mode and reinstall Nvidia drivers once back in normal mode

which I5 is it? just curious if it has an integrated gpu, as you could run off it until you get a new GPU.

I be surprised if its just the drivers, is what I am saying.

Thanks for replying! I'm not getting BSOD anymore, its just freezing up and I can't do anything.
I ran DDU, removed Nvidia drivers and reinstalled the latest version.
I also found out my System timer driver was outdated, and was prompted to update with an Intel Watchdog Timer Driver - maybe that is the problem (hence getting 5 dump files referencing Watchdog)?

It's an i5-9600KF.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So much for running without a GPU - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...r-9m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz/specifications.html

Intel Watchdog Timer Driver (Intel WDT) is the device driver for the watchdog timer function of Intel chipsets that allows them to detect and recover from malfunctions.

most of the time you see watchdog.sys errors its GPU drivers. Can also be heat.

Watchdog.sys is part of windows, its on my pc. Shows as made by Microsoft.
The intel one looks after the CPU, it would have another driver name.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 3.70GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
RAM: 16,0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1330MHz (16-18-18-39)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME B360M-K (LGA1151)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z (1920x1080@144Hz)
Storage: 476GB INTEL SSDPEKNW512G8 (Unknown (SSD))
freezing with no errors isn't windows, its hardware.
What Power supply do you have?

This is 100% HW, and I'm leaning heavily to something related to the GPU.

It's possible there's a PSU problem; for example, my 3080 Ti locks up my PC rarely when it transitions to it's boost clocks, likely to my PSU not responding fast enough. I "solved" that issue by locking my GPU to boost rates. Given your GPU is a lower-tier model that likely isn't a problem, but I'd wager heavily toward GPU/PSU being the culprit.

Jul 17, 2022
This is 100% HW, and I'm leaning heavily to something related to the GPU.

It's possible there's a PSU problem; for example, my 3080 Ti locks up my PC rarely when it transitions to it's boost clocks, likely to my PSU not responding fast enough. I "solved" that issue by locking my GPU to boost rates. Given your GPU is a lower-tier model that likely isn't a problem, but I'd wager heavily toward GPU/PSU being the culprit.
So much for running without a GPU - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...r-9m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz/specifications.html

most of the time you see watchdog.sys errors its GPU drivers. Can also be heat.

Watchdog.sys is part of windows, its on my pc. Shows as made by Microsoft.
The intel one looks after the CPU, it would have another driver name.

freezing with no errors isn't windows, its hardware.
What Power supply do you have?

My PSU is a Corsair VS550 (grey label). I just can't deal with changing the PSU if that's it 😅

Colif

Win 11 Master
So its a white lvl PSU. I don't think they go lower. 80+
http://www.jongerow.com/Corsair_PSU_hierarchy/specs/VS-2018.htm

1. When I boot up first time of the day, it almost always freezes within the first 10-15 minutes.-> sometimes everything just lags super hard for about 10 sec, but then returns to normal-> often its a complete freeze, but sometimes the curser can still move while being very choppy (as if 10 fps on the monitor), the cursor is spinning (as in loading) but nothing reacts
  2. I shut down the PC and boot up again. Problem is then always fixed, and I can use it with no problems. The freezing doesn't come back until next day.
how do you shut it down? Hold power button?

I wonder if turning this off will make a difference - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html as if it does, I go back to looking for a driver to blame.

Jul 17, 2022
all of the bugcheck were internal video errors with a new un- documented code. I could not look at the memory areas without a kernel dump but here is what I would do:

1. update bios from the version you have from 2019 to the current version dated: 2021/08/05

after the update you need to run the intel ME update at the above website.

now I would go to here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html
and install and update with the hope of getting a new
iaStorAC.sys driver (this is where I think your real problem is coming from)

after the driver is installed do a full reboot and wait several days to see if your problem still occurs. (or turn off virtual memory reboot and turn it back on)

looks like your motherboard is not getting driver support but you might want to see if you can get an updated motherboard sound driver: RTKVHD64.sys Tue Oct 20 03:06:45 2020

give it a shot and see if it helps

Jul 17, 2022
all of the bugcheck were internal video errors with a new un- documented code. I could not look at the memory areas without a kernel dump but here is what I would do:

1. update bios from the version you have from 2019 to the current version dated: 2021/08/05

after the update you need to run the intel ME update at the above website.

now I would go to here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html
and install and update with the hope of getting a new
iaStorAC.sys driver (this is where I think your real problem is coming from)

after the driver is installed do a full reboot and wait several days to see if your problem still occurs. (or turn off virtual memory reboot and turn it back on)

looks like your motherboard is not getting driver support but you might want to see if you can get an updated motherboard sound driver: RTKVHD64.sys Tue Oct 20 03:06:45 2020

give it a shot and see if it helps

I attempted to update the BIOS with Asus EZ update (in AI Suit 3). Got an error saying "Can't open AsIO.sys (2)". Couldn't find a solution online, so I gave up.
Ever since updating my other drivers, my PC has not completely frozen (it's been 6 days now). It does still freeze up for about 5-10 seconds, but not a full stop.

I attempted to update the BIOS with Asus EZ update (in AI Suit 3). Got an error saying "Can't open AsIO.sys (2)". Couldn't find a solution online, so I gave up.
Ever since updating my other drivers, my PC has not completely frozen (it's been 6 days now). It does still freeze up for about 5-10 seconds, but not a full stop.
for the freeze up, you might want to go into windows control panel device manager and disable all sound sources that do not have speakers connected to them. (sound also includes microphones sources that you are not using should be disabled)

(I assume you have updated the nvidia gpu drivers, and disabled nvidia share/shadowplay already)