Question Windows 10 PC randomly crashing to black screen

Sep 5, 2022
Edit: May have found the issue, PSU almost definitely died, changed out PSU for a spare one, I am going to try this for a few days and make sure that it for sure was the PSU going kaput.

I would like to keep this thread open for at least another day or 2 just in case if that's ok.

First time poster long time lurker, thanks for the years of good info on other posts they've saved my a million times.

I have been having an issue for a few years with my PC just randomly crashing to a black screen. It seems to be a safety feature because when it crashes all my fans ramp up to %100 (except GPU fans which stop altogether most of the time BUT not all the time) it doesn't seem to be over heating, I've noticed it happen in games that barely get my GPU to 50c this can happen the moment I open a game or hours into playing a game or even just watching youtube.

This crashing affects the WHOLE PC so even things like discord stop working and I can no longer hear the people I'm in channel with.

Now I've tried a whole bunch of things from removing all over clocks, reseating the GPU, reinstalling the drivers with fresh drivers manually after removing with DDU, trying different display ports on my GPU, I've even tried completely reinstalling windows clean a dozen times. at the the moment I can't think of anything else but this has been such a persistent issue there's almost definitely more I've done to try fix this myself . . . maybe it's my PSU dying but that I don't know how to test.

I should also add that Event Viewer doesn't seems to show any errors of when this happens.

I'm running:
MSI 2070 super no OC
I7 7700k no OC
32gb ddr4 (4x8) G.skill ram no OC
Z270x- Gaming K5 MOBO
Rosewill 1050W Gold PSU
and a few SSDs, windows is running off my NVME SSD - 960 EVO
and as current to windows 10 as I can get without opting into beta access

If you have any ideas or question I will do my best to answer, I even have a network engineer as a roommate so if I can't answer he'll be able to help in some way or another he has a lot more PC knowledge than me but has no idea what's going on.

Last edited:
First time poster long time lurker, thanks for the years of good info on other posts they've saved my a million times.

I have been having an issue for a few years with my PC just randomly crashing to a black screen. It seems to be a safety feature because when it crashes all my fans ramp up to %100 (except GPU fans which stop altogether most of the time BUT not all the time) it doesn't seem to be over heating, I've noticed it happen in games that barely get my GPU to 50c this can happen the moment I open a game or hours into playing a game or even just watching youtube.

This crashing affects the WHOLE PC so even things like discord stop working and I can no longer hear the people I'm in channel with.

Now I've tried a whole bunch of things from removing all over clocks, reseating the GPU, reinstalling the drivers with fresh drivers manually after removing with DDU, trying different display ports on my GPU, I've even tried completely reinstalling windows clean a dozen times. at the the moment I can't think of anything else but this has been such a persistent issue there's almost definitely more I've done to try fix this myself . . . maybe it's my PSU dying but that I don't know how to test.

I should also add that Event Viewer doesn't seems to show any errors of when this happens.

I'm running:
MSI 2070 super no OC
I7 7700k no OC
32gb ddr4 (4x8) G.skill ram no OC
Z270x- Gaming K5 MOBO
Rosewill 1050W Gold PSU
and a few SSDs, windows is running off my NVME SSD - 960 EVO
and as current to windows 10 as I can get without opting into beta access

If you have any ideas or question I will do my best to answer, I even have a network engineer as a roommate so if I can't answer he'll be able to help in some way or another he has a lot more PC knowledge than me but has no idea what's going on.
which MSi 2070 super are yours?

Sep 5, 2022
I'd write a reply to both of your comments but I think I figured it out with my roommate so I'll answer both here

it was almost definitely my PSU dying, we plugged in a spare PSU and soo far things are going fine, I didn't think it was my PSU because the rest of my pc still "turned on" just not my GPU but now I am going to run this new PSU for the next few days and see if it happens again. I'd like to keep this forum open for at least the next 2 days just in case.

I also realize this might have been put in the wrong forum subject, my apologizes I posted this from the side bar of the main forum page, newb mistake.

Reactions: Koekieezz
I'd write a reply to both of your comments but I think I figured it out with my roommate so I'll answer both here

it was almost definitely my PSU dying, we plugged in a spare PSU and soo far things are going fine, I didn't think it was my PSU because the rest of my pc still "turned on" just not my GPU but now I am going to run this new PSU for the next few days and see if it happens again. I'd like to keep this forum open for at least the next 2 days just in case.

I also realize this might have been put in the wrong forum subject, my apologizes I posted this from the side bar of the main forum page, newb mistake.
glad you find the problem. i acutally have the same problem with my old gtx 950 but it was gone after psu change (from vs 450 2012 orange ones to cv550 2021 lol)

TRENDING THREADS